1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quick wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MNbassist, Jun 4, 2007.

1. I just bought a bartolini cbjd set with a 5.2 preamp for the bass I'm building and Im having a little trouble with the wiring. I understand that the thick wire from each pickup goes to the preamp, but the thin wires coming out of each pickup? Are these the ground wires? And if they are what kind of wire do I use to get these to the bridge?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen but that's how you learn - only usually starting with a very simple transplant and progressing.

Don't know that particular pup but Barts typically have a black jacket with whatever enclosed. Often just a braided ground and clear insulated hot lead otherwise small insulated colored coded leads (see Bart site). If the wire is bare (isn't shielded) it's a ground wire.

Never seen pup grounds ran to the bridge "wire" (if that's what you're talking about). Usually both are run to pot backs unless star grounding/whatever is used.

Seems 23 gauge is the standard wire but you can use about any wire that's insulated - Stereo/HE speaker wire is fine. I've used phone wire with no problem. I would use all insulated wire though whether it's a ground or not.

You may want to check out FAQ Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide (bass mod guide link within). May save you some grief - or at least prepare you for some.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021