Quick XLR / 1/4" question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Say I'm recording a bass track on my computer through a mixer. I'd like to send the signal direct through the Sansamp BDDI. I have the option of using the XLR or 1/4" out, right? The XLR is balanced and the 1/4" is unbalanced... so which do I use? What are the main differences of both?
  2. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Not totally true - a 1/4" TRS is balanced, a TS is unbalanced.

Running a balanced signal means that you will eliminate most hum and electrical pickup between the two devices. An unbalanced signal is more open to RF noise.

If you have the choice use a balanced transport method although if your only going a little way it probably won't make much difference (although if its going to a computer it may well do).
  3. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I believe both of the 1/4 inch outputs on the BDDI are unbalanced (tip/sleeve).

Regarding your question, you'll want to match whatever your computer input uses. For example, if you have a SoundBlaster type card, you want to use the 1/4 inch output with a 1/8 inch adapter at the computer end. If you have something with XLR inputs, like the Edirol UA-25, you definitely want to use the XLR output of the BDDI.