Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quiet string, what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gwreid, Jul 30, 2005.

1. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Okay, I have a new (used) 55-94 Lakland 5 string which is great, with one exception, in certain circumstances the A string isn't as loud as the others. I know it's not a pickup issue beause the same problem exists on each pickup (Bart's) and on all three settings of the bridge PU. After checking that out I thought it might be the nut but the problem exists on open AND fretted notes. Yes, I've changed the strings and still have the problem. I've also raised the action. An obvious possibility is the saddle, but that looks fine. One last refinement of the problem description. I tend to pluck the strings between the neck and the neck PU or, if muting, near the bridge. When using fingers the volume difference is not at all noticable BUT, when I use a pick for some rock numbers, thats when the difference can easily be noticed. Weird. Any thoughts???

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dead string? Replace it and see.

3. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Done that Munji. made no difference.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'm out of ideas then.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It might help to know exactly what this part of your post meant.

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    restring, adjust the neck, intonenate the bridge, change the string hight alittle bit.

just some tips to minimize deadspots

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    yeah deadspots...

8. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Come on guys, read the original post. :hyper:
    The entire string (Yes, I've replaced it and all others.) is quieter than the other strings ONLY when I use a pick between the neck and the neck PU. Using fingers anywhere or using a pick near the bridge shows no problem. It's ONLY when I use a pick, which I do for a bunch of old rock stuff, near the neck. Weird, :meh: Must have something to do with the wider vibration that takes place when plucking nearer the middle of the string. I've changed the entire setup but no change. I'm stumped.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    then it is your tech or the string height... thats it solved.

10. Have you tried different pickup heights (distance strings - pickup)? Perhaps your pickup setup is too high.

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Did you re-string with the same guages & type? I took a pick to my '94 in the position you mentioned. I am using TI Jazz Flats, which are not standard guages. I'm getting very even response which you should be. Have you talked to anyone at Lakland?

12. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    I put same gauge back on and a matching set of course. As for PU height, I've also played with that to no avail. I'll be calling Lakland first thing Monday. Thanks for all the suggestions. When I get a resolution, I'll let y'all know. I've never seen (heard) something like this before in my 40 pkus years of playing guitar and bass..

13. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    I eventually got through to Dan at Lakland and I'd barely completed the description of the problem before he said "Oh yes, we know about that problem, you will need to replace the pickups." He went on to tell me, to my surprise, that some of his 5 strings actually had 4 string PU's installed so I would need to measure mine to determine which I had. Apparently, that had no bearing on the problem as it occurred with both 4 and 5 string pickups but only effected the A string. However, both pickups need replacing to cure the problem. Still weird (that both PU's must be replaced.) but at least it's an answer.