Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quivers

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by tzadik, Mar 28, 2005.

1. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Hello there.

I am looking for a cool quiver that is neither leather nor that corny pasticy-fake-leather crap. Anyone know of anything else available? I might just end up making one, but I thought I'd ask around here first. The reaching and grabbing to snatch/release a bow is getting a little old!

Thanks,
    Xar

2. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
  3. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    oh wait, those are leather....nevermind

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The reason that most of them are made out of leather or fake leather is that they need to be from a stiff enough material that they will not close/adhere/snuggle up to your bow when it's quiverized. You gonna carve one from wood?

5. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Wood? :p
    I was thinking of some sort of canvas-type stuff, perhaps. Maybe with some sort of rim to keep the top open.

The search continues.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just remember to keep it open all the way down. If the only "collar" you got is up top, it can still "suction" to the bow down inside. Much less get all twisted up etc.

7. If you know a someone handy with a sewing machine, you might try having one made out of cordura. Cordura is a very heavy fabric used for backpacks, etc. It comes in many colors and patterns (camoflage comes to mind). I expect the mouth would need to be reinforced or doubled over on itself to keep it open.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you are compelled to be unique, just get the pleather one make yourself a quiver condom out of a material of your choice. It would function correctly give you the look you want.

9. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    We think alike, Steve. I actually checked out some cordura a few weeks ago. I think it might need a ton of reinforcement, but it was hard to tell. It might work.

The quiver condom idea sounds good too. I'll give Trojan and LifeStyles a call right away. :D

10. My instructor uses a very lightweight cloth quiver with a sewn in wire collar. It seems to work fine for him. It has the advantage of being very light weight and doesn't vibrate. It is kind of floppy and does actually resemble a condom now that you mention it. :smug: