R.E.M.'s Mike Mills

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vox Populi, May 1, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    The are a few Mike Mills threads floating around in here, but they're all pretty old. So I thought I'd start up a new one.

I've decided Mike Mills is one talented guy. One of my favorite bassists. The way he is able to fill songs with twisting, melodic lines is a real pleasure to hear, especially when most music these days just has the bass doubling the guitar.

Texarkana is really fun to play, as is Cuyahoga and The Flowers of Guatemala.

Anyone else a Mike Mills fan? I'm seeing R.E.M. live June 29th in Dresden, Germany. Can't wait.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've seen him on stage at least a dozen times... I was a huge fan (still listen from time to time) from the mid 80s till shortly after Green. Haven't been able to spend time with the new stuff but they were a killer band back in the beginning.

Mike has a great sense of time and harmony. :bassist:
  3. I used to really like Mike Mills and really liked R.E.M. He played really great counter lines to things and filled stuff out perfectly for a 3 piece band + singer. He's a hell of an all-around musician rather than "just" a bass player.

I started liking REM when they were still "underground" or a "college band" and thought it was cool when they got radio "hits" with the Green album. Somewhere between that and the "Shiny Happy People" time the band fundamentally changed. I can't say that I've enjoyed listening to something by REM recorded after 1989.
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I listened to R.E.M. a lot in high school, haven't much for a few years. But when I do put them on I can hear that Mills influenced my playing.
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    He's been a bit of an influence on me, too. He played some lines that I like a lot, and some where he noodles a bit too much for my tastes. Too bad after REM decided to start making completely synth-processed music there isn't even room for his playing in most of their recent songs. At least some of "Around the sun'" is more organic-sounding. Sometimes I really think I'd have been better if they had called it quits after "Monster" or "New Adventures in Hi-Fi".
  6. i think he is good, i don't think he is a real stand-out bassist, but he writes good basslines that compliment the songs.
  7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I can still remember when REM first broke in 1982 when I was still in high school. I was stunned by the pic of him with grey/thinning hair as my mental image of him is full dark hair and big lensed glasses and a Rickenbacker....

I always thought Peter Buck's guitar playing was simplistic with which Mike's cool, melodic bass lines fit perfectly.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was at the University of Georgia when REM formed. I remember going to the used record store, Wuxtry, where Pete Buck was a clerk. I remember when he got a Schecter Telecaster and he was sitting there checking it out, he offtered to let me play it, but I was never much for a guitar. I guess my point is that I have known about them from the beginning and starting with "Radio Free Europe" I always liked Mike Mills playing.