R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by okcrum, Oct 27, 2016.

1. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The censorship software on the site does not correctly identify the root word in the title when it is used as a verb. IIRC this is still PC-acceptable usage, meaning "to slow down".

Also, the substitute word "dufus" is misspelled. It should be "doofus", which is the original word according to Merriam-Webster. "Dufus" is some local or regional variant.

The spell checker flags either spelling of doofus as incorrect.

I am sure this stuff is touted as features on the software.

I really wish this was a joke. :/

StayLow likes this.
  2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Just use ret.arded when you absolutely must use it. It comes up so infrequently in the correct non-derogatory usage that I don't think it would be worth it to take the time to add an exception (if it's even possible)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Does this have anything to do with the website? Isn't all the spellchecking happening on whatever device you're using?

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Spell check's turned off in my browser. Do you really think all this is happening at my end of the connection? How about the word replacement? Natural language processing has been able to tell the difference between a noun and a verb for at least 25 years.

At least the people who write this stuff probably didn't write the air traffic control system. :rollno:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    When I assumed you were using spell check I really thought it was happening on your end. Still might be. I don't know that the website spell checks.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021