Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rabbath CD ROM

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by phlybass, May 17, 2004.

1. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    This may not be the proper forum for this question but if not I'm sure I'll be directed to the right place.

I recently got the Rabbath CD ROM from Liben Music. and am having trouble getting the Quicktime video to play from the on screen interface.

The video will play from the files list.

I'm running Win XP Pro and tried different compatability settings with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....Alex

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Download one of the quicktime players the disk provides and see what happens.

3. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    Thanks to you JohnnyL. Your suggestion solved the problem...Guess the program wanted it's own version of QuickTime. It's up and running now, and seems like it will be a very good learning tool to augment my lessons.

My teacher, who is probably 30 years or so my junior has me working on the Simandl. I've mentioned some of Rabbath's and Karr's ideas on fingering to him and he is very willing to explore them with me.

Right now I've got my hands full just trying to get the first two pages of ARCO exercises in the Simandl book to sound like other than a BIG jungle cat whose tail has been stepped on.

Thanks again for the help. This forum and it's members are a wonderful resource and fount of knowledge.

Regards, Alex

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    No sweat man. Besides, getting the demos up and running is just the first step.

Study how fast (or slow) Rabbath moves his bow across the strings as he moves up and down the fingerboard, and slow your bow down in those half position Simandl exercises. Alternative fingering options and the fingerboard are great things to learn, but if you're going to use the bow you should make that your first priority until your body learns to sync your bowstrokes with left hand movements.

5. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    At this point, it seems one of the harder things for me is to get both hands working properly at the same time.

I know that those first two pages of the Simandl will be one of my most needed exercises for some time to come.

Thanks again Johnny L.

Regards, Alex