Rabbath cd-rom

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by G-force, Aug 10, 2004.

1. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Hi all, anyone have any experience with the Rabbath cd-rom. What is it like?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this has been mentioned before around here - so you might find some more details and opinions if you do a search - all I remember was that it was incredibly expensive!! :eek:
  3. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    the price has been reduced to 80 bucks. its still worth the bucks IMO. as a partner to the method books i have found it extremely helpful.
  4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    To me, his off-the-string bowing demonstrations and illustrations of an extremely loose wrist to accomplish them alone make this CD worth buying. But his illustrations on playing scales across the strings as much as possible to avoid unnecessary shifting, and his crab technique (similar to Petracchi's idea to prepare for the next note in thumb position as soon as possible without interrupting the line), and his demos on using open strings in odd places (because intonation is key and well tuned open strings have great value) is also informative and well thought out.

If you know these things already and trust that they are of benefit, this CD may not offer you much. But if these things challenge your conventions, check it out.
  5. MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    I have found the CD useful.
    A lot of his approach could be thought of as the art
    of the bow.
    There are always nice little details in the CD to go back for.

The CD isn't cheap. Quality rarely is.
    Francois said production was close to seven figures!

If you play bass it's almost an obligation to consider his approach, even if you don't use all elements.

I'll see if he has anything to say about the CD and repost
    in a few days.
  6. MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    Unfortunately I missed Francois by an hour or two.

Now my opinion:
    has bowing and scale excerises from his books.
    His approach to the bow, strings and balance.
    Thinking how the left hand should set-up the right
    ie string crossings.
    Special techniques and effects--Violin tricks

Attitude with bass, bow placement and motion.

Arranged in chapters for lessons. Follows book one.

Should/Could follow and/or accompany the George Vance method and Francois Rabbath books 1& 2.

I'm somewhat biased as to what I think will set standards in a generation or two. This is my veiw of the foundation.

It's one way to meet goals of playing well quickly and musically.

George Vance has coified an introductory method to the new technique.

I think stuff it is worth trying, only a small amount need be used to make it useful, espicially if you don't know either George or Francois

I use the CD and the books.
    I favor them very much, YMMV.