1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rabbath Teachers

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by TroyK, Sep 23, 2008.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry if this has been covered, I looked and I've searched the internet for the following, but does anyone know if there is a registry of Rabbath Technique teachers? Or does anyone know one in Seattle?

I'd like to have a lesson or two and then decide. I'm a jazz player who would like to study classical technique and am interested in Rabbath because I wonder if it might help with a shoulder problem that I associate with my playing. I have access to good jazz teachers here, but just want to focus on technique for a while and explore a different approach.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, including: Does this sound logical?

2. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    Check in with Patrick Neher in his Q&A forum here - he may know of a Rabbath technique teacher in your area. There's no registry that I know of other than Francois' address book.. lol.

Good luck.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Also check with George Vance in DC and Hans Sturm at Ball State University.

4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    George Vance has a website for his Slava Publishing company. He is easy to get in touch with. He has summer camps yearly, so he would know a lot of bassists who use Rabbath's techniques.

www.slavapub.net

5. dkziemann

dkziemann Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Nick Walker at Ithaca College

6. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    If you want a heavy hitter, look up Jennifer Godfrey in the seattle symphony. She is very familliar with rabbath, and could maybe help you out or point you in the right direction.

There is probably more Hal and Jennifer in her playing than Rabbath, but she knows what she is talking about and she is an excellent player.

Nick is a very nice guy and a very good jazz player. He very much plays in the manner of Rabbath, but he not particularly close.
    You may as well look up Dr. Sandor Ostlund, Professor at Baylor in Texas, as he is an excellent teacher.

7. futurebass77

futurebass77

Aug 2, 2007
    +1