rack effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm currently looking to assemble my rack and i want to get an effects processor in there. I heard some things about the TC-electronics G-major. Does this work well with bass? Also what would be a good price to get one of these and where to look for one? Also if you could just tell me all the bass (or bass compatible) rack mount effects processors i would really appreciate it, I'm just trying to see whats all out there. Thank you for your help.
  2. The ones I know about:
    Boss VF-1
    Boss SE-70
    Boss SE-50
    - all discontinued...find on eBay
    TC Electronics G-Major
    TC Electronics G-Force
    Lexicon MPX-1
    Alesis Midiverb 4
    Alesis Quadraverb 2
    Alesis Microverb 4
    Eventide Eclipse
    Line 6 Bass Pod Pro
    Peavey Deltafex
    Yamaha SPX2000
    Rocktron Xpression
    Digitech Quad4.

There's dozens more out there...and you can find most on the used market for really good prices.

These all vary in price and quality, and most do something better than the other, so it's hard to say what's 'Best'. Obviously, the higher the price, the better the quality (Eventide...G-Force), but for a good, solid, processor that will give you all the effect variation you could possibly want, I suggest the Boss VF-1 or SE-70. They're made for guitar, but do bass really well. They're also designed for live use, so switching is pretty quick and editing is fairly easy.

Hope this helps.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I had a G-major but ended up selling it. First of all, my G-Major had to go back to tc electronic TWICE for warranty repairs. Their knobs apparently are less than stellar.

Also, the built-in tuner does NOT work well for bass. Anything lower than the A string can't be tuned using the open string.

I instead have moved on to a Lexicon MPX G2. The G2 is discontinued, but is an excellent box. You can find them on eBay, but they aren't cheap.