rack preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uziel, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    hi !

i'ld like to buya preamp, but and can't try any of them where i ama (there is nothing at my local shop)... i like the SVP Pro sound, but it is'nt dynamism enough...
    what about the Alembic f1x ? what will be the difference between it and a demeter HPB1 ?
  2. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I don't know what the difference is between those 2, but I really like my Sansamp RBI. You should check one of those out.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love the RBI, and it's an incredible bargain. But if you're looking for dynamics, then Alembic or Demeter would be a better choice. I've never owned a Demeter pre so I can't comment any further.
  4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Have you checked out basstasters.com yet?

I'd recommed the Kern IP-777 preamp. They're hard to come by. There is one in the for sale forum though.
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I recommend the BBE BMax. I have the solid-state one, and did a review of it on bgra.net. I love mine, it can get any tone I need, and if you want dynamics, flip the BBE Process switch and get ready to scrape people off the back wall. The thing has PUNCH!
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I have a Trace Elliot V-Type. I love it!

Do any cats here on TB have multiple pres in the rack?
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if the pre in my Peavey Ultra 60 counts, yes.
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've actually thought about it- I'd like to try a tube pre with my BBE. Not necessarily at the same time, but to have the choice of tones, since I'm currently freelance...
  9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

+1 for the Kern!

Only reason I sold mine was to purchase a READ Purity. But a bit pricey with long lead times new and even harder to come by used than the Kern. Try one and you'll know why!

+2 for the READ! And Jack's a great guy to deal with, for sure.

Either one is a great choice, but the READ is a bit more flexible and more pure, IMO.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sure. I have a TC Electronics parametric EQ/preamp that I never use by itself. Right now it's sitting in a rack with my SansAmp RBI. Before that, I kept it with my Alembic F2B. The parametric is nice to kick in for a change in tone, and especially useful for precision tweaking in tricky acoustic environments.
  11. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've never owned a Demeter HBP but I used to own a Demeter 201 and I currently own an Alembic F1-X. The Demeter was a little too hi-fi for me whereas the F1-X is very warm and tubey and the 201 just had too much treble. Someone please correct me if I'm using poor terminology, here. If you're into slap and such perhaps Demeter is for you. I may decide someday to sell my F1-X but I doubt it. It is just a good all around preamp for my needs. Think vintage type tone but, really, capable of other things as well.
  12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    cool, yeah I was just wondering, cause now I have an extra space or two available and I'm thinking about experimenting with some other pre's.
  13. J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    I pair a presonus eureaka w/ a sansamp bddi. sounds great, and tons of tonal flexibility. the eureka is very "high-fi", but by running the bddi on my pdal board can blend in some "tubey" feeling into the mix. Works great!