RackMount Suggestion's Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RevengeIseek, May 24, 2005.

1. I just bought a 4 space rack for my GK 1001rb II and need one open space. I was wondering what you would suggest i fill the other space with. Im clueless with what i should get. So what would you put in the 1 extra space in my rack.

Thanks Alot
  2. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005

Tuner? Power conditioner? Wireless? Here's my rack:

3. I was thinking of some kind of eq thing. But have been able to find anything. other than that i was thinkin tuner or wireless
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    The tuners are pricy, but they are well made. Personally, I was able to get a used korg DTR-1000 for pretty cheap here on talk bass. I'd highly recommend one. you may be spending a bit more than you would be on with a pocket tuner. But they are higher priced for a reason. I personally, have 2 open spaces on my rack, and I currently have a blank panel with my bands logo and name on it. It makes the rack look really professional, and nice. But I'm planning on taking it out at some point to get a wireless system myself.
  5. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    I'd just put a perforated blank panel in, myself. Keep things cool, and I cant think of anything rack mountable Id want to put in.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Your GK has pretty flexible EQ already. I'd be dropping in the tuner. Or a kick-butt rackable Verb/chorus/flange/delay unit. The tuner is knd of a no-brainer though ...
  7. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'd say a power conditoner or tuner if you really want to fill the space.

Band Logo on a blank plate is a great idea I never thought of that!
  8. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but seeing as there is a perfect example picture in it!

Can someone just give me a run down of the Units that make up a rack, for example the picture above, something like a schematic diagram. I've been interested in putting one together for a while just never really knew what went on to one.

Thanks in advance! ;)

9. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you are tired of carrying around a pocket (or non pocket) tuner, get a rack tuner. Never think about where your tuner is again. Plus you can constantly tune during shows.

If you love your pocket or hand tuner, then I say the next most necessity type gear if you are happy with your sound is a power conditioner. I'm not saying they make you sound any better or anything magical like that...it's just nice to plug in your amp to it and other misc things that you may have along the way (wireless, tuner, whatever) and only have one plug to plug when you get onstage. Plus plugging anything to the wall with no such protection is just a no-no for me. Changing fuses in between songs is just not cool.

I know its great to leave one rack space open for that extra airflow, but a tuner right on top of it is of almost no consequence. Unless the tuner is 16" deep in the rack, most tuners are like about 5" at max? That doesn't create much stress on the amp. That gives you one more space at the very top for that power plug or a wireless. Yeah.