1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rackmount Surge Protector for Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by solarfly, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. solarfly

solarfly Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2016
    My music studio setup runs a SurgeX 1115 surge protector and a SurgeX UPS. These things are rated to take 10000 volt hits repeatedly and regulate the power. My house on Sunday, here in northern California where it's going through the worst storm we've seen in over a decade, we had trees fall on the power line right at the house and the transformer exploded. Thankfully, I only lost my MOTU MkIII (the only thing I stupidly didn't have plugged into the SurgeX).

After a day of power outage, I came home and immediately ran over to my Mesa M9 Carbine, plugged directly into the wall. The thing with bass amps is you don't want to run them through power conditioners that limit the amount of draw on a single connection. I'm also not a fan of using something that doesn't have isolated grounds. I only need two or three sockets, but it has to screw into a Gator flight case.

Do you guys have any suggestions on lightweight surge protection solutions for when you take your bigger equipment around on gigs (eg. not your D-Class, but your heavier stuff that goes in cases)?

2. solarfly

solarfly Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2016
    ...holy crap, just as I started typing this, thunder and lightning started hitting. Incredibly rare in these parts!

3. Back when I had a nice 6 rack setup, I used a Furman 1 rack space power conditioner/surge protector. Now that I've scaled down some, I just use a 6 outlet Furman power strip extension cord. As far as I know Furman is still considered a top rack mount power conditioner.

solarfly likes this.
  4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    This was the slimmest, lightest rack-mount surge protector I could find when I was doing my own research on them a while back. I have it mounted in one of the newer shallow 3u SKB Roto racks.

Rackmount Solutions RMS815a
    RMS815a - 8 Rear outlets with 90ยบ turn
    Surge, noise and thermal protection 15a
    19"w x 1.75"h x 2.75"d, 6' cord

Maybe a little pricey at $78, but for me, especially given the lifetime warranty it's a buy it and forget it item.

It's so thin in comparison to other RM surge protectors that I mount it in the back opposite my rack tuner... and still have room for a VTDI pedal to fit in-between the two. Very light, very simple, very good.

Edit: just reread and saw your note about "(eg. not your D-Class, but your heavier stuff that goes in cases)"

I mean, it shouldn't really matter if you're protecting an SVT or a tuner pedal, but I'm pretty sure a surge protector with a decent fuse will work the same way and trip before any damage is done to anything attached to it. Now if you're looking for line regulation or more complex protection, that's a different (and larger and more expensive) matter.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017