Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raising Action

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tplyons, Mar 3, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dumb question... I have an adjustable bridge, but have never adjusted it. How do I go about doing it? I'm looking for a bit more volume for the Sound of Music pit. Also, it's buzzing on the pizz playing, so it's way too low.

Do I just loosen the strings and raise it?

And just refreshing the memory, the bridge needs to be raised in the winter because the top of the bass shrinks right?

2. Yeah Tim, just take some pressure of the bridge by de-tuning a bit. Sometimes the wheels freeze so get a pair of channel lock pliers....put a piece of leather in the jaws of the pliers so they don't scratch the wheels. Pop them free. Be sure to adjust both adjusters evenly! Don't do just one....you don't want the bridge cock-eyed!

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Action, action, action, Action, ACTION, ACTION, A C T I O N, A C T I O N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Arnold....are you having a break-down? I didn't use the word ACTION!
    Oops, I just noticed Tim did..Tim, don't use the word action Arnold hates that!