RARE Tung Bass on the bay!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, May 22, 2008.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars, Olinto Bass, LaBella Strings
  2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Wasn't John Myung playing Tung basses on Dream Theater's "Awake" album?
    Massive low end !

rtav and chaak like this.
  3. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I've never heard of them, looks pretty cool though.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I believe so! And they're in some of his instructional vids you can find on YouTube.

chaak likes this.
  5. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I have always loved the look of Tung basses.

6. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    Looks pretty nice, but the price is way out of my range.

7. Nice, but 'spensive.

8. Oh, I'd sell the proverbial house if we weren't renting. This is a once in a very long time opportunity... :bawl:

9. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    If only I didn't just splurge for the new mountain bike. If I had the cash my wife would actually let me go for it...

10. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    $4000 starting bid and it's got EMG pickups. awesome. i wonder why nobody bid on it yet..

11. Bearded Bugs

Bearded Bugs

Mar 11, 2008
    That's like a dream bass, I've JUST spent £2000 (about $4000) on new bass gear..... FFS!!

12. Awesome bass!

13. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I had a lot of trouble selling mine for 1500$.

I don't think it will sel for 4000$.

Very nice bass anyway.

And it's not a midi out on this bass.
    It's a preamp output (a la alembic) but it's not plugged.

14. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    How's that 5 pin output work? From what I understand, the early Alembics that had this Required using that 5 pin jack for an external power supply. This also has a regular 1/4" jack, so how's that work? Also he claims it has a Bart pre w/ the active EMGs, but that can't be. They shouldn't be able to work together.

Lastly, does anyone know if Tung ever built a bass w/ EMGs? I've only ever seen them w/ Barts.

BTW....Thanks for posting this on TB (sarcasm)! It only had about 100 views before the link was posted on here! I'm really gunning for this if I know I can get some stuff sold in the next couple weeks.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Looks like an awesome bass. I've long loved the look of Tung basses. I heard Nicholas had gone into the restaurant business, though part of me wishes he would go back to making basses!

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The irony is that if the starting price were $1,800, the owner just might get $4,000!:rolleyes:

17. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I know they guy that has serial # 001, it's yellow, and a pretty rocken' bass!

18. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    here's a pictures of the one I used to own:

Tung_4.jpg

19. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    He is back in business!!

20. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    here's what he wrote on another board:

Howdy Fellow Bassist!!!

Thanks for your very kind words and your interest in my instruments. I regret that I've been in selfish pursuit of my other career and hobbies, and I haven't had much interest in bass building these last few years.

I'm in the process of putting a new shop together, and will be taking some custom commissions soon. The new company will be focused on manufacturing of small volume, high performance instruments.

A "Jazz-type" bass will be introduced later this year, with the new Wing Series debuting in 2008.

I'm working on a "Tung Bass" website, and it will be up and running very soon.

I'm very excited to be returning to the world of bass guitar manufacturing, and I hope you will fine my new designs aesthetically pleasing and functionally cool.

If you have any questions you like to ask, please post them here and I will do my best to answer them. Or you can email me at [email protected]

Sincerely... Nicholas Tung

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021