Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs PMB-II vs D-Tar

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mchildree, May 25, 2005.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Has anyone had the chance to directly compare the Raven Labs PMB-II with the new D-Tar units? I have a PMB-II that's been just about perfect for a variety of my needs, until now. Looking for a unit with an XLR input for a mic, as well as 1/4" for pickup blending. Love to do away with the XLR adapter things when using my mic. I'm a doubler and have found the PMB-II to be great for electric bass, EUB and upright...would the D-Tar units compare tonally, construction-wise, etc?

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I have both.
    I don't double anymore - UB only. I'm using a piezo and a mic.
    PMB II is a great blender. Reliable... much better sound and headroom than the little battery-powered boxes I was using before.
    Much as I love my PMB, the Solstice is better. 4 inputs vs. 2; xlr outputs for each channel; As you mention, xlr inputs with their own pots and pad switches; To me, a more natural sound - less "electric-y." It has the same phase switch arrangement as the PMB. One really good thing is that the channels have indentical input impedence, so if you're using 2 seperate piezos, they'll react the same. As far as I can tell, build quality is fine.
    The only minus might be that the Solstice is not battery-powered. Wall wart only.
    I'll keep the PMB as a good backup. Hope this helps.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    It did help indeed, Jon....Thanks! Got a Solstice on the way.

4. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    You're quite welcome, sir.
    Let us know what you think of it.

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I got my Solstice yesterday and tried it last night. Really, really nice sound. Didn't have a chance to try the Equinox but will do that tonight. What I would really like to see on the Solstice apart from detents for the EQ pots is mute switches for each of the inputs instead of the single mute switch.