1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Raves?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Jan 20, 2004.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I was just wondering, is this something yet to hit the pacific northwest, or have they somehow escaped me?

I have been thinking of throwing my own, since i cant find any around Salem, OR. Face it..... raves are hella cool and by cool, i mean totally sweet.

Also, what would it take to throw a kickass rave?

thanks,
    pete

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Slick, you just missed them. They were pretty popular here in Portland (I wasn't here at the time, though) in the late 90s. 99/01ish.

Raves? Lots of room, freaky lights, a good DJ, and enough speakers to make people have a happy accident in their pants just standing there.

Empty barns are popular for the DIY ravers.

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    damn... my generation misses everything. Raves, high capacity magazines for guns, def leppard, and our innocence.

4. I lost my interest in raves after I was flogged with glow ropes.

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

... You say these things like they're GOOD things?

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I too have been contemplating a possible rave. Albeit, it would be a small one, but a rave none the less. It's all "redneck, sit around a fire and drink beer" type of parties around here and I think it would be cool to have a rave.

I suggest you look into some laws though before throwing a rave. I know they were trying to pass a law about a year or so ago that would make rave organizers legally responsible for anyone consuming drugs (mainly, Ecstacy) at their events. I'm unsure of the status of the bill so you might want to look into first.

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, that's legit dude. They're a lot of fun. It's more talk and hanging out that beer-swilling fratboy antics.

Then again, maybe I'm a bit of a hick...

8. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    oh trust me, they ALL are, besides def leppard.....

pete

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know; they seem to play "Pour Some Sugar On Me" quite a bit at dances around here.