1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Ray Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juiceboxx, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Juiceboxx

Juiceboxx

Jul 15, 2012
    Hey all!
    New to the forums here, figured it was about time to join, considering this is the place I check most for almost any question I've ever had concerning our wonderful instrument. But, a new question has arisen that i can't seem to find an answer to.
    I have owned my Ibanez Btb 5-er (korean made, unsure of model) for almost 5 years, and it's time for something new, and let me say, i want something completely different.
    The bass i have in mind is one of those shiny new Stingray 5's, but on a cook's salary, that is just not going to happen... And I've looked into the sterling's as well, but again, a bit too expensive, and i need something soon. The poor ibby is in rough shape.
    The question is, besides the ATK, (which i can't find any of the 305's used online) what stingray "alternative's" are available. Any help is very appreciated. :help:

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Sterling by musicman not musicman sterling bass will be better, the old atk sounds close to a ray but the newer 1 is a meh for me. They just came out with the new musicman sub bass FYI, even lower price than sterling by musicman bass.

3. Juiceboxx

Juiceboxx

Jul 15, 2012
    Hahaha, i don't know if I can do the diamond plate pickgaurd :p Really though, i wish they still made those OLP's, I played one a friend owns and i actually really like it, all it would need for me to be satisfied is a new pickup.

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Sterling by MM is the way I'd go I wer in the market. They really nail the MM sound. There are quite a few to choose from now to inlcude the 4 string sb4 or is it 14, the sterling by MM, the SUB. They all can nail the MM sound for less. $600 and you're in the house. I have an OLP 5 string and would still get one of the new ones if I had the extra cash. The OLPs can be upgradedwith a Nordy MM pickup and 2 band pre and will sound like a MM as well. SGD Lutherie sells a 2 band pre that nails the MM sound as well. You could put one of those in an OLP with a Nordy MM replacement.

5. Wait, when do the SBMM Sub's come out?

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    This is what you are looking for I would imagine

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Track down an old Peavey G Bass!

8. Peavey T40 is similar in some ways. Though it isnt active and instead has a 4 knob vt/vt Gibson style electronics.
    The Sterling by Musicman get you in the ballpark of a Musicman. But I have yet to find one I can take home. they all are kind of boring sounding and seem to fight me on the playability side.
    As opposed to my most recent (OG)Sub and Stingray purchases, which both play like butter.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Ibanez ATK will get you into the ballpark, for pretty cheap. Great, bulletproof bass. I love mine.

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    @ Kesslari: The OP has looked for an ATK but, as we all know the 5 string variants are hard to come by used.

@ OP: It seems like you want an OLP good luck for you you know someone that has one. Why don't you offer to buy it? The worst thing that happens is you get told "No". A friend of mine tries to buy my ATK everytime he sees me playing it I've told him no lots of times we're still friends.

OLP's are a one trick pony as is so you will really need a good aftermarket pickup and preamp to get it to be useable imo.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    look for a US made stingray SUB.. they come up occassionally.. even fivers.

12. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    This is the obvious answer. They are not that hard to find and they can usually be had for less than $500. Awesome instruments and zero compromise, they are real Rays!!!!

13. Heck I bought a black sub for $280 a couple months ago.