Ray Brown/Bow solos

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by BustinJustin, Mar 11, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I recently heard Ray Brown's album "Producer's Choice" and was wowed by a great DB solo w/ a bow! I'm not sure if it was Ray or Christian McBride (sp?) (CB is a guest player).
    Anyway, can you recommend some innovative bow players?
  2. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    Robert Black? Teppo Haut? I'm not sure what you mean by "innovative"? Jimmy Blanton's arco solo on BODY AND SOUL was innovative for the time in which it occurred, Michael Moore's sound and conception arco, while stunningly beautiful and well-developed, can't really be thought of as "innovative"?

Are you just asking for some nice arco jazz players?
  3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ya know... I'm just a plank spanker.... soooo any suggestions on what you DB guys consider "cutting edge" arco stuff would be great....
  4. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    I am beginning to get the feeling that some kind of translation interface needs to be added here.

"cutting edge" - I still have no clue as to what it is you really want to listen to. If the only two bassists that were on that record you heard were Ray Brown and Christian McBride, well I wouldn't call EITHER player "innovative" or "cutting edge". Ray is very firmly coming out of the Chambers>Pettiford>Blanton lineage and Christian has got that heritage mixed with a contemporary funk sensibility. So if what you are REALLY asking is where you can hear some more stuff that's going to be like the stuff you heard, check out:
    Michael Moore
    John Clayton
    Lynn Seaton
    Dave Young (although I don't dig his bow sound)

but also check out Paul Chambers and Jimmy Blanton, because that's the "wellspring" of that conception.

If what you want is cutting edge, check out William Parker, Sirone, David Izenzon, Peter Kowald, cats like that.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I generally don't like arco solos in Jazz - too scratchy and thin - but John Patitucci sounded great when I saw him with Wayne Shorter's quartet! ;)
  6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Thanks man...
    I guess "cutting edge" isn't the right term.

I tend to gravitate to Christan MB. From my point of view/experience I consider CB to be innovative and cutting edge in all his playing EB and URB. I see his approach to be simular to Dominique DiPiazzia (SP??) of Front Page.

I stray.... I will check your suggestions... thx

7. jlattuada

Apr 25, 2001
    Richmond, Va
    I would add Richard Davis to the list of Bassists to listen to for bowing.
  8. Check out Slam Stewart*, Major Holley*, Milt Hinton, John Clayton, Christian McBride, Patrice Caratini to name but six more…

- Wil

* these chaps often sing an accompaniment whilst bowing - yes, I know, it sounds weird, but they are pretty damned good and it certainly gets the listeners' attention.
  9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Thanks guys!
    Great stuff!

10. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Check out swedish bass player Lars Danielsson. I believe he has a record out with Scofield and Adam nussbaum. He has a very nice lyrical arco tone . Some other guys that may be of interest are Dave Holland, Miroslav Vitous, Richard Davis etc.