RBX 260 Rebuild - headstock crack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 5below, Sep 20, 2016.

1. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    So, I noticed a crack in the headstock of my rebuild project. I'm looking for some advice on how best to address it. Thin CA glue? I don't really want to try to pry the crack open further as it seems to go with the grain and I might snap off the whole chunk. Thanks!
    IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3085.JPG

2. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Anybody out there?

3. Really thin CA glue is what I would probably try. I don`t have that much experience at repairing headstock cracks, so I was hoping somebody else would chime in.

-Jake

5below likes this.
  4. Wedge it open a little. CA glue in then clamp it shut and wipe off the excess glue. Done! :)

Zooberwerx and 5below like this.
  5. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks to RBS and the Reverend. I'll try the CA glue.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Probably won't even have to pry it open. Stick a toothpick sliver in the screw hole then re-introduce the screw. There's a good chance that will create enough of a gap to wick in some thin CA. Remove the screw and fissure will close. Add a clamp and you're good to go.

Riis

5below and reverendrally like this.
  7. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Great idea. I'll give that a try. Thank you!

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Looking forward to seeing the results...IOW, take a couple addt'l pics as the project progresses. Just about every non-traumatic headstock crack I've seen emanates from one of the anchor screw holes.

Riis

9. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Good to know. I do plan on more pics as things progress. I have a lot of sanding to do, since I made many small dings and dents as I was scraping off the sealer coat. I don't think I'll ever get all of them out. The bass is alder chunks glued together with (likely) a thin ash veneer over all, so I can't sand too heavily. Stay tuned for further developments!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. totalgiraffe

totalgiraffe

Oct 16, 2016
    Leeds, UK
    Found this video while doing some research for my own refinish job. looks to have the same crack as yours.

from around 7:45ish.

Fixed it with some wood glue and a clamp. No need to pry it open or anything.

11. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry it took so long to respond - I just now found this post! I will have to try just what this fellow did. I had decided to not try to pry the crack open - I didn't want to snap the whole thing off. This approach seems reasonable/viable. Of course, now I have the bass just about finished, so I'll have to rework the finish on the neck - no big deal. Here's what the crack looks like now - still there, just harder to see:
    RBX260 Rebuild_back of headstock.JPG

12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just check it occasionally...if it remains stable, don't mess with it.

FWIW, dilute TiteBond is often preferred over and above CA for these projects.

Good show!

Riis

5below likes this.
  13. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Great idea! I really need to know that it has seeped into the crack, so dilution will help a lot. Thanks.

14. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, check the TiteBond website for specifics on recommended dilution when wicking. I should have mentioned this option earlier. I use the thin CA for "dusting"/back-filling fingerboard cracks on rosewood, wenge, etc.

Riis

15. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks again. I'll check their website.

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Patience...

17. 5below

5below

Jan 18, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Yep. I intend to be virtuous!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022