read custom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 3, 2003.

1. I like them

15 vote(s)
  2. I don't like them

1 vote(s)
  3. they are alright, but I've played better

1 vote(s)
  1. Hello,
    Has anyone ever seen or heard or played or known someone who knows someone with a Read bass? They look pretty cool, but i never have heard or played one.
    here's a link to tell me what you think

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have no first hand experience with them, but they look nice..
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've never played his basses, but I have talked with Jack Read and he is a great guy.
  4. Me either but, they do look great!

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've personally played a few of Jack's basses..well technically one entire bass and 2 necks that were fitted to other basses. His stuff is top notch. Not only is he cheaper than alot of custom luthiers out there, he'll work with you to get you EXACTLY what you want. Right down to the body shape. His basses sound amazing and play incredibly. The action is insanely low and a teacher of mine had a cheap Dimarzio bass that Jack made a neck for and even after spending a months in a case, this thing never went out of tune.

Plus he is a great guy to deal with. I had him work on a Schecter I had a while back.
  6. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I had Jack do some extensive electronics work to one of my basses and he was like a surgeon. The routing and all wiring was perfect!

He's a great guy and wonderful to deal with as well. While I was at his house a few times, he let me try out all his basses in the "showroom" - I don't have a negative thing to say about any of them. Wonderful craftsmanship, attention to detail and the feel/sound was top notch!

A buddy of mine plays Jack's basses and I can attest to the fact that they record wonderfully as well.
  7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I bought my second ever bass from Jack Read. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out for me. The neck dimensions did not match what I was looking for, but the constuction of the bass was fabulous. I decided not to have him alter the bass, because I was scared it would still not be to my liking. I had only been playing bass for a couple of I was still trying to figure out what I liked. He was very helpful, and very nice about the situation. I highly recommend him if you are looking for a custom bass. I would definitely consider him if I had the the funds and a band.
  8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thats the thing about Jack, is that if you don't like it, he'll do it over. He can complete a bass and you could decide you don't like it and he'll take it back and refund you. It does help if you live in MA or surrounding and you can go and see the bass in person as it progresses and make changes along the way.
  9. I just got my Read bass on Monday, and it looks/plays/sounds simply amazing. Very nice guy, too, he won't rest until you are completely satisfied with his work.

If you know what you want (which is a pre-req for dealing with any custom luthier) you can't go wrong with him.

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    :eek: *whistles* Nice man :) Congrats. I would definately get a Jack Read if I could justify spending the $$ money when I don't play out and don't play as much as I probably should :)
  11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Beautiful bass, Taustin.
    Congratulations!:D :bassist:
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Jack Read lives two towns over from me. I met him years ago when he was just starting out building basses. I've gone to him for repairs and setups since I met him.

I've played many of his creations (I saw Taustin's bass but didn't play it), including his new J-clones. The reason I never decided to buy one is that I've been playing mostly blues and other rootsy styles and don't need a high-tech bass.

I have been talking to him recently about building me a P bass or maybe a J with P pickups. He's a true custom builder, he will build to your exact spec. For instance, he has had customers bring their basses to him to measure the neck, weigh it, or just LISTEN to it to get an idea for what they want (or don't want). When I told him I would like a thinner neck than his J-clone had, he was willing to look at some basses I have with necks I like.

I think his stuff is a decent value (his prices start around $2000). His attention to detail is excellent and the repair and set up work he has done for me is top notch.

I can understand being hesitant if you can't go over to his shop and see for yourself but Jack will definitely stand behind his work.
  13. Anyone tried his Model J basses?
  14. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have bought some Bart pickups from him and I can say it was the most pleasant web purchase experience I've had. Very nice guy to deal with. I asked for his opinion with regard to certain pickups and placement and he was very helpful. I just wish I had the money to get one of his custom basses!
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've played both the ones seen in the pics on his site (blue with Aero pickups, white with Barts). If you're after a passive J bass with a smaller (lighter) body and neck cut to your spec, a very nice bass. For more $$$$ he can deck it out with whatever active stuff you like, other hardware, etc.

I liked the sound and feel a lot and am considering buying one, just need the $$$$$, eh? :p
  16. thanks for your input.
  17. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    I have no experience with his basses, but I have ordered a Purity Preamp and have exchanged a lot of emails with Jack regarding some custom options. He is a wonderful guy to work with. He has gone the extra mile to give me what I want. I can't wait to have my pre, six weeks and counting...
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

keep groooovin'
  18. EduardoK

EduardoK Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2004
  19. 1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Stop bumping every Read bass thread. We got your point, no need to repeat no need to repeat. 10-4

Once this is done, please find the "caps lock" on your keyboard and unlock it.