Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reading... goes slow :(

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Hello!,

For a year ago I played in a orchestra where I played after sheet music (notation). I did it quite well but I realized I just listened to the Tuba player (Most of the time, sometimes we hade different sheets). Also when I see a note I my brain starts to think where it exist on the fretboard. for example If I see Bb, I think 1 fret A string. This can be very confusing when it sometimes it had been easier to put that Bb on the 6 fret of the E string.

Also now, it feels like I am not improving reading music.

What can I do to feel better about it? :meh:

Thanks

2. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    It just takes time and practice. Think about how long you were surrounded by the English language and could even speak it pretty well before you could read and write it. It is like recognizing that A and a represent the same letter and it is best to use each one at different times. 1st fret and 6th fret can both represent Bb, and it is best to use each at different times.

Keep doing it and it will become ingrained in you. You will no more think about it than you think about the letters that make up any of the words in this ramble.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    well, if it were easy you wouldn't be learning anything, right? :)

not that I'm an authority or anything, but a couple of things that have helped me (and may or may not work for you):

Playing stuff you're familiar with in a different (closed) position.

Playing scales up the neck with octaves and tenths (hard to type out, but say F, F 8ve, A (near high F), A (near low F), G, G8ve, Bb...) think about the location of each note as you're doing it. Do a few different keys of course.

Playing different intervals in scales (in different positions) so you're able to think of where to go from one note to next . Again, think of what each note you're playing while you do it (so you're not just doing the pattern).

For reading, I just try to practice sight reading more. I'm trying to get better at sight reading the high notes, and getting rhythms right.

Good luck.

Marshall

4. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi all
    Is there any good web sites etc to learn more about this???
    I would like to start reading.
    Where can you get music from???? as most of the tabs I find are wrong.

Paul

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004