Real Quick Survey! (Squier vs G&L Trib content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P Cheen, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Squier Classic Vibe 60s P

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Squier Classic Vibe 70s P

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. G&L Tribute Kiloton

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. P Cheen

P Cheen Chelsea Blue is the colour! Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    So before the weekend hits I’ve got the opportunity to add an entry-level, non-Jazz Bass bass to my arsenal.
    Currently torn between the Squier CV60 P, CV70 P, and the Tribute Kiloton. I’m considering the G&L because I can get a B-stock for $399 locally. The Squiers are of course $430 a pop.

What say you?

Weight is no issue to me.

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I prefer G&L Tribute to Squier. Last week I bought G&L S-500 and it is really built like a tank.
    If you tried G&L and liked it, I would have no doubts.

halcyo likes this.
  3. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    I own an American G&L (CLF L1000), and Tribute JB. In my opinion, the Tribute G&L’s are more on par to Fender Player Series, therefore definitely nicer than Squier

THAT SAID, The tone of that Kiloton is not gonna be that close to the Squier P’s. It’s more Stingray-ish than P bass.

Qlanq likes this.
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Because even the Tribute series comes with US made MFD pickups. That alone is more than enough of a reason.

5. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    G&L tribute LB100…if you are comparing p basses

6. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Thinking about this for a couple of hours.
    Squier Jazz basses are great, I have 2 JV's, not as good as my CIJ Geddy but good enough to play in any gig.
    Have a Trib Kiloton. Everything perfect with that one. Apart from having one pickup.
    After playing basses with 2 pups for 49 years, having 1 pup on a bass is a bit odd. The bass feels lovely to play and I dig it, the neck is stunning, that one pup though? Give the Kiloton a thorough workout.
    You might love it or think it's not quite perfect.
    Or you could try out a CIJ Geddy. You might love that.

7. P Cheen

P Cheen Chelsea Blue is the colour! Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    All,
    Thanks for the responses and the poll votes. I ultimately went with the Squier CV 60’s P as it’s getting rave reviews all over the internet. It was a close fight between that and the CV 70s P. The Tribute Kiloton I saw at the store had a very anemic and raw look to the maple neck, including some “splintery” fibers by the truss rod hole. Oh, and the nut on the Squiers are better cut than the G&L Tributes.

To the hypercritical ones, notice I used the term non-Jazz Bass because of course I know a Kiloton isn’t a P. And yes, I do know the LB-100 exists but I don’t like how it looks hence why it isn’t in the options. Come on now.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've always liked Squier, but I'd choose the Kiloton, we're talking Irish Ale, of course, over both of those Squiers.
    I'd rather have one great bass than two good ones.

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Can't go wrong with either. Have had good luck with both Tributes (never owned a Kiloton but other Tribs) and CV basses. In terms of which one has better quality stock pickups, that's the G&L with the MFD, but it's all relative , it's only good as how you plan to use it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021