1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Realist SoundClip issues

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Boisen, May 31, 2012.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've been experimenting with this pickup and found that it tends to rattle if not installed just right. With the weights in place this thing really effects the acoustic sound like a mute and I've also found that the top part of the clamp with it's rough surface leaves marks on my bridge, even though I don't feel that I am over tightening it.

Anyone else have these issues with the SoundClip?

- Steve

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I've had this issue. If it's not tight enough, it rattles. If it's too tight it doesn't sound it's best. Not a big deal, it's easy to reach down and adjust now that I know what to listen for.

3. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I really wanted to like this pickup but I'm taking it back for a refund on Monday. Getting a good, feedback free sound is a crap shoot, even when you try the same location twice. If the pickup is too loose it rattles and if it's too tight is marks up your bridge. For now I'm sticking with the original Realist.

Sometimes I wonder how practical it would be to gig with just a mic, but many of my gigs have no PA support so playing though my GK combo with a mic sounds like it could be a feedback fest. I have a D-TAR Solstice pre-amp that will let me blend a mic and pickup, but that sounds like a complicated set up.

- Steve

4. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    It's a funny ol' instrument we play, isn't it? I've not had any of those issues, except for feedback with the pickup mounted below the adjusters. Fortunately, it's a simple pickup to experiment with and return if it doesn't do it for you.

5. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm surprised more people haven't complained about the SoundClip leaving marks on their bridge. Mine is pretty chewed up in the spots where I installed the pickup, and this is just after a few days. I can imagine what the bridge would look like after a few years of installing and removing the pickup. People have suggested inserting a piece of rubber on the transducer side, but would think adding a piece to the rough surface of the clamp would be imperative to protect your bridge.

- Steve

6. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    What did you end up using for a pickup? I have the same issues with my SoundClip (rattling and bite marks).

7. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I was able to return the SoundClip and I have been using the Fishman Full Circle for the last few years. I have been very pleased with it and I now have this pickup on both of my basses.

- Steve

Garagiste likes this.
  8. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY

I experimented last night with a thin strip of plastic under both feet of the clamp. Made a huge difference. Also, you really do have to tweak the position. The smallest changes in location do affect the sound significantly. My open A string was super boomy until I found the sweet spot. I also played through my Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 which has three tubes and has a very rich low end. Best amplified sound I have ever heard from my bass.

9. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I hope you are still happy with the sound next time you install the pickup in the same location. As for me, I'm glad I don't have to futz around with my current pickup.

- Steve