Really hip bass duets

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by tzadik, May 15, 2005.

1. tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Where does one find and/or get acquainted with really cool, harmonically sweet, playful and just plain downright bad@ss bass duets?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Bach's Two-Part Inventions might measure up. I have PDF's, blatantly labeled as having no copyright, that I could email you.
  3. there's some really nice hip duets at the back of rufus reids evolving bassist book. definately worth a look..
  4. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I'll take them. Pls email to cgworkman[at]

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  6. tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Ooo, cool idea. I actually already have the inventions -- I play piano to cross-train -- and I imagine some would make cool bass duets... However, I am actually looking for something a little more "out there". I do love and appreciate Bach tremendously, but I wonder if there is anything out there a little more in the vein of, say, Poulenc - type stuff.

A friend of mine has Reid's books/DVDs, I'll have to see if I can borrow them.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to more suggestions!
  7. I have a book of bass duets written by Frank Proto that might be up your alley. They're pretty challening; switch time sigs every other bar, go from treble to bass clef within a 16th note; fun stuff like that.

They might be out of print, but check with Liben Music, who prints all of Proto's stuff. They have a Web site that has a lot of cool bass music with sample pages.
  8. ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    I'd like to collect some duets for cello and bass. I'm looking for music that was explicitly written for those instruments (not arrangements). While I've done a cursory search already, I thought I'd come here to the great thinktank that is Talkbass and get some ideas from you guys. I already have the Rossini duet and have played/heard the Eric Hartmann duet. I'm looking for something challenging and interesting. I haven't checked out much from Proto or Rabbath and I wouldn't be averse to hearing your thoughts on their works but I'm also looking for pieces by composers known outside of the bass world as well. Any ideas anyone?
  9. Ok. I'm in the middle of assembling as much music as I can before I start gigging with a cellist friend this summer. My biggest tip would be to forget finding original music, because it doesn't really exist. I'll list what I know, but there isn't much, and it's all pretty bad. You should buy some bass duet books, cello duets, bassoon duets, trombone/tuba, etc. It all works in a pinch.

Here's what I know of:

Rossini Duetto
    Dodgson "Root and Branch" (I have ordered this, but I haven't looked at it yet. I'll let you know if it's any good)
    M. Haydn Divertimento in D
    W.F. Bach Duet
    Kleinknecht Sonatas in G & D for Vc/Db (I have no idea where to order these)
    Pleyel Rondeau
    Cherubini Duet in g minor

I know Ludwin music carries a number of Vc/Db duet books as well.
  10. ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    This is great Paul. Thanks very much. I'll check these out.
  11. Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium

Actually there is a lot of music for bass and cello, but you have to remember that in the old days (like Bach) bass clef music ,most of the time, wasn’t written with a specific instrument in mind. for example there is a lot af music labelled cello and Bass where bas can be any Bass clef instrument including the Double Bass. But even if it is labelled for 2 cello’s you can still play it on the Double Bass because what they meant was 2 bass clef instruments and in that time (and still today) the cello was usually used in that role. But indeed looking for music that is originally labelled cello and Double Bass is looking for a needle in a hay stack, if you are looking for old classical music. Now if you are looking for modern classical music, that does exists but is somewhat harder to find.
  12. ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Istar, you're absolutely correct and I've considered that. I know there are some pieces out there from the baroque and classical periods that are written for trombone or bassoon that will work for the bass. I am looking for music of any period and would welcome information on any newer works as well that are written for that instrumentation. Thanks for your input!
  13. littlekatie

Jul 14, 2004
    London, UK
    has anyone played that insane piece of music that comes from the york bass clef solo book?! its called canon inversus and when you get to the end of the double page. you flip reverse the music (ie turn it upside down) and its the same piece!!! but upsidedown but not! its brilliant. Hours of fun.

York Bass Clef Duets book, fo sho.