1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rebuilding a Carvin kickback amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jkb, Jul 16, 2020.

1. jkb

jkb

Jul 16, 2020
    I like the kickback cab just because it's easy to hear on stage. I have a GK1001RB I can replace the head with. What speakers would be a good replacement? Should I also change the crossover?

2. To replace your drivers you'll have to carefully measure the cabinets inside dimensions and enter them into a cabinet design program like winISD and identify suitable replacements.

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive Suspended

Sep 14, 2010
    I couldn't find a Carvin Kickback

I'm guessing a 2x10 or 1x15 combo?

Sealed / Ported ?

In a nutshell, yes there is suitable speakers.
    Just keep in mind 90 to 140 dollars per driver.
    If your really in love with it.
    Otherwise I'd find another used combo
    Or just run a 2x12 new or used with your GK head.

Otherwise actual amp combo number, or driver setup information for the Carvin.
    Assuming you looking at 2 10" drivers or a Single 15. Plenty Eminence drivers to use

4. Ohabanero

Ohabanero

May 17, 2019
    Plus 1 on Eminence drivers. Great selection and price ranges and great performance. They have a B or BP series that's affordable I'm using now that sound great in 12's

5. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i am pretty sure that carvin used eminence speakers for quite a while. perhaps eminence could sell you oem-spec replacements?

edit: also pretty sure that carvin referred to their angled models as ' tiltbacks '.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive Suspended

Sep 14, 2010
    Deltalite II 2510 would be significant upgrade for tone and little more power handling. Lot more, for the most part.

As mentioned 300 $ in drivers might go further towards a 2x12...but

Basslite S2010 offers less cost with good performance.

Keep in mind those are 96/97 dB drivers.
    Regardless of power handling. The sensitivity is most likely higher than the factory drivers around 93/94 dB
    So the actual output should be slightly higher than original.
    If we're talking 2x10

1x15 would be the usual 3015 Kappalite
    Slightly more or pretty high power handling compared to a factory speaker.
    Likely a Beta or Gamma for Carvin.
    Otherwise Carvin did have a heavier duty cast frame driver 15". Same coil and metal work as the well known Legend CB158

7. jkb

jkb

Jul 16, 2020
    It is a 2x10 cab. I don't mind paying up if the speakers have sound that makes it worth it and will last. I went to Deltalite II 2510 and as always there are mixed reviews, mostly positive, great highs and mids but not as good on the low end. Is that your experience?
    Thanks for your help
    Carvin R600 RC210 2x10 bass guitar combo amp | CAPITOL GUITARS | Reverb