Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend a 200W Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom P, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    My 60 watt starter/combo is not cutting it at jams (duh), so I'm looking. I've tried some 350w setups - way more than I need. Combos in the 200w range are a PIA to transport so
    I'm thinking lower power head and cab.
    I don't need alot of features and am open to different price points. Reliable a plus,not rack mount, solid state is fine with me.
    Ashdown EB Head, Ampeg Porta Bass?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You named the two I thought of. Have a look at the Hartke HA2000.

-Mike

3. The Asdown EB 112 or 115 180 . If you find one that ends in 150 instead of 180, then those are British made. I had the EB 112 150 it it was only 37 pounds. It has a midrange emphasis and cuts through. Warm tone for an inexpensive amp. Should be able to get a new one for low 300-ish.

I would not worry about having too much watts. the Mag 210 is not 300 watts unless and until you add an ext. cab. My first chice for you would be the mag 210 combo.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAGC210T

Edit: sorry, i did not know you didn't want a combo. Check aout the avatar websight. could probably get a deal on a head and a small cab.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Try to find a used SWR studio 220 head. Great sounding and good quality. Can often be picked up on eBay really cheap.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and recommend the Behringer BX3000T [$229] and an Avatar SB112 cab [$219]. Any of the lower powered Ashdown heads are great too.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    avatarspeakers.com has great deals with ashdown...

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just checked the website and I don't see them anymore! He should call Dave to be sure.

8. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Thought it was just me. I'll e-mail and get the scoop. Maybe the 300 Mag head into an 8 ohm cab would be a little less robust.

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    How about a Gallien-Krueger Backline 250BL? How about mine?

10. Used GK 800RB .... :)

11. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Without a doubt, Behringer bx3000t. You'll get 300 Watts of power with awesome tone for less than the price of most 200w heads.

12. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Gallien-Krueger 400rb-III. All that GK clarity with their contour & growl knobs??? Dynamite.

13. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have a Behringer Bx3000t, i would reccomend it. It gets the job done just fine and it's good sounding for what you pay.

14. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Peavey Mark IV....i just happen to be selling one.

210 watts at 4 ohms
    300 watts at 2 ohms

just get your self a sweet avatar like i have and you are totaly kicking. PM me if you are interested. Im only looking to get around $220 for it.

15. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Used Peavey Sessionbass, Deltabass, Nitrobass, Max160. The 112 of your choice (I have a Genz Benz NeoX112 and like it a lot) and you're portable and in business for $400-$500. If you have gobs of money, check out a Mesa Walkabout. Mmmmm.

16. Behringer is fine unless you need it repaired then their is only one place, their service dept in N.Y. They will sell schematics to anyone unless they are authorized Behringer.