Recommend A New Pup For Squire P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Mar 6, 2010.

1. I picked up another P-bass, and it's just a Chinese Squire - but it is clean and nice colors, etc. It was prolly from one of those combo-sets with the tuner, gig bag, instruction VHS tape and maybe some picks, a cord and a 2watt "practice amp" but it is alone without all the other stuff and I got it for a song. ($5.00)

The neck is straight and the strings are gonna get a little drop for some better action.

OK - it's got the twin split factory pups, and I would like to know if there's any suggestion as to what type of pup I can put closer to the bridge for more voicing of this instrument and leave the stockers where they are.

This will be a first for me - adding a pup to an existing bass.

Nothing too fancy, just a little different tonality and/or voice is fine.

It looks like I have a zillion cubic inches of room under the pickguard for almost anything including an active system and a 12volt car battery - but that's not much of a stretch I think.

It's not like this is an American made 1958 J-model Fender played by someone fantastic and autographed, but I don't want to ruin any instrument, not even if it is a cheap-ie.

2. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    I just picked up the Squire Fretless Jazz and swapped in Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. They sound pretty awesome over the stock "Seymour Designed". They make a similar set for the P bass. You may want to think about a new bridge too. The Squire bridge is garbage, they sell for $12. A badass or a gotoh are a huge step up. Between the bridge and new pups, the Squires start to sound really awesome for under 300.

3. I would suggest the Bartolini's. I did a rework on my first PJ special... It was a cheap MIJ and the neck felt awesome. So I put in the Barts and loved the growly sound it gave.

4. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Noted and that gives me a good start. Thanks.

The one thing that interests me about the MI-C PB is that the fret board has a distinct curve to it and I like that. It's not TOO fat (not as skinny as my SR500) but it is playable if only it had a nice voice.

5. <edit> I noticed a fretless J or P, I don't remember which as I was fascinated by the fret(less) board. It was at CG in Murrietta, CA.

It had white lines where the metal frets are supposed to be.

Isn't that cheating? I don't remember ever seeing that type of marking before.

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    +1 for the Duncan Quarter Pounders. I have the P model in my custom Clement and I love it. I have no first-hand experience with the J (my bridge pickup is a MM), but I'd have to think its also a winner!

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    get something *cheap*.

8. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    It's not cheating. What you saw in GC is a Squire version of the BOD (cosmetically). Jaco played one with lines. If I was good enough for him it is good enough. ;). It makes the transition much easier too.

9. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    a seymor duncan music man pickup maybe?

10. I found this on Craig's List:

"Leo Quan Badass II four string bridge" $65.00. Slightly used (looks good in the pix)

Is it a good deal?

11. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Yeah, that's a fairly good deal on a badass.
    But for the Squier you're gonna want the badass III IIRC...

12. OK - what about the existing holes to mount the stock bridge? Are they gonna get covered OK?

13. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    The badass oughta be a drop-in replacement using the same holes.
    But I'd save your money and spend it on a good pickup, the stock bridge is sufficient for its purposes.
    If you're putting money into it, upgrade the electronics first. (Pots, cap, pups). They're more important than the subtle tone change of a hi-mass bridge.
    But of course, take care not to sink in a whole lot of money. It stops being a good deal after 200$ worth of mods. :cool:

14. Yeah - I had a couple of yachts too - once.

They are just glorified holes in the water into which you pour money.

Pups, pots and a new 1/4" jack fer sure, and maybe a trip to my personal lutier. After that - it's about this guitar being a good $5 deal - but maybe - JUST MAYBE I can turn it into the Strad of basses!

Nah!

15. Way Off Bass

Way Off Bass

Jul 30, 2008
    Boone, NC
    EZ Music Co.
    I, like so many, put SDQPs and a BadassII on my cheapy squier P. Which is ok, but please consider that if you get the coated BAII, the string ground will be defeated and some sanding or a good copper tape shielding job will be in order. I chose the latter and have enjoyed the other benefits since then. I also hate bridge grounds as I have to keep my hands on the bass at all times.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021