recommend Bluegrass strings, please read...

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by 1953kay, Jul 21, 2009.

1. 1953kay

1953kay

Jul 21, 2009
    Hi,
    new to this forum. I've got a 1953 Kay M-1 that I use for bluegrass. Sustain and growl/buzz is not a concern. What I want most is thump and volume, but...

I've tried D'Addario Helicores only to find they were to buzzy on my fretboard. I switched to La Bella black nylon wrapped strings and this helped.

My main two concerns are I 1) can't stand the buzz and 2) tend to lose volume around B and C note on my G string. I want to try something new that isn't bright, but has max volume and resonance and probably dark without buzz.

What would you recommend? thanks

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    I use LeBella 'Deep Talkin' flats and am quite happy with them. Lots of volume and deep thump. One thing these strings are not is bright. Also the higher tension pretty much completely eliminated any buzz (I hate buzz!). It took a little time to break them in, but if your looking for a deep, dark tone, give them a try.

3. TPugh

TPugh Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Jackson, TN
    I don't know how bright Helicores are, but as a metal string, they should offer volume and a good tense feel. Several pro bluegrassers use them. You say the switch to LaBella's helped. Did that totally eliminate the buzzing? I'd say let us know where you are. Maybe someone could recommend a good luthier to check out that fingerboard just to make sure it's not the source of the problem.

Welcome,
    TPugh

4. 1953kay

1953kay

Jul 21, 2009
    yeah, that is the reason I tried them in the first place. they sounded great on other basses, not so much on mine. I've got a great luthier about 15 min. away from me, Alfred Micheals (a bit of a hidden secret). He does top notch work.

5. 1953kay

1953kay

Jul 21, 2009
    i googled these strings and I think that is what I have. La Bella 7710 nylon wrapped, right? that's what i'm using now. or is the 'flats' a different model string? do you use electric bass strings?

6. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    LeBella 'Deep Talkin' flats are Electric Bass strings.

Which Helicores were you using? Orchestral should be quite a bit darker if you were using the Pizz or Hybrid strings... If they were still too bright for you, you might want something like Supernils, Eurosonics, Innovation UB Blacks (or Super Silvers) Black Diamond Doghouse strings, etc etc...

7. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I use a set of Helicore Hybrids from about 2000 or 2001. I also have a set of Thomastik Superflexibles That are from about 1999 or 2000. The key is to let them get old. These are the only 2 sets of strings I have used on this bass aside from some super cheap ones that I strung it up with initially. I currently have it strung up with the Superflexibles as they speak better than the D'addarios for the current gig. After 2 years the magic starts. Ron McClure Talked me into never really changing my DB strings.

8. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1

9. reedj

reedj

Jul 15, 2006
    West Liberty, Ohio
    When I conceptualize the tone you are describing I often hear them in opposition to one another. For grass (I can't really speak for anything else) the thump you are looking for will come from a low(er) tension like some of the aforementioned. The volume would come from a steel string like ones you are unhappy with. I think the lower tension or synthetic string will carry well over distance, plus they would minimize the buzz thing. Just my experience, do with it what you will.

10. 1953kay

1953kay

Jul 21, 2009
    im strongly considering the eurosonics. the string description sounds good. But my concern with these is string life. I've also strongly considered, and almost bought, helicore med. orchestral because they are inexpensive but I want to make sure I stay away from anything that'll create any buzz.

I may just go with the Labella nylon wrapped again. I dunno. I'm just uncertain considering the cost and trying to guess at what would work well with my bass.

11. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I tried a set of Innovation Super Silvers after years with Spirocores. The SS's have lots of volume and have a reputation of having gut like tone. Although I'm not a bluegrass player, I think these strings would be good for bluegrass. Might be worth a try.

12. 1953kay

1953kay

Jul 21, 2009
    thanks. these are primarily the two kinds of style strings I've been considering. How would you compare the SS's to the Spiro's? How long have you had the SS's on your bass?

13. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think the Eurosonics would work well for you. I don't know about string life - but I can't see that they'd last any less than Helicores. They (Eurosonics) are basically a steel string - just with silk (and other metals) braided into the core, and that synthetic wrap. I just put a set of Lights on that I got in a trade. Had the Ultralights before - they were too light for me - getting them on and off the bass didn't do anything like weaken the windings or anything like that. You definitely want at least the Lights.

14. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Super silvers have a lot less tension than Spiros,,they play like gut and sound a lot like gut,,For what you have explained these might be what you are looking for,,I sometimes use the super silver A&E with gut G&D,,they work very well together,,Kent

15. 1953kay

1953kay

Jul 21, 2009
    what do you achieve by doing this? I might be interested in mixing strings if it will be to my benefit. I've narrowed it down to the super silvers, eurosonics or obligatos. any opinions on these three?

16. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    The SS's are nylon (I believe), and have a booming tone with much less tension than the Spiros. The Spiros have more punch and focused fundamental to the notes. I changed from spiros to the Super Silvers because the Spiros were very old and dead. I was looking for something new and asked about gut strings here on TB and folks in this forum suggested the SS's. I tried them on my 39' Kay M1W and have had them on for a couple of months. I like em' especially on this bass. I'd say that for bluegrass, the SS's are a good choice, while the Spiros might be better for jazz. MHO

17. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I replaced my Spirocores with super silvers about a month and two gigs ago. We are sort of a bluegrass/roots band. Love the sound and playability.

I highly recommend them for bluegrass.

18. 1953kay

1953kay

Jul 21, 2009
    So, I think I've narrowed it down to the innovation Super Silvers. But, I wonder if any would could offer insight as to how they would compare to the nylon-wrapped La Bella 7710's that I have on my bass now.

I realize these are totally different strings. As I stated in my first post I play bluegrass and I'm after volume with a fat thump. Faster decay would be fine just so there is sufficient note definition which I'm sure really wont be a prob no matter what string I go with.

so, opinions?
    thanks

19. ricca

ricca

Dec 24, 2009
    Reggio Emilia ITALY
    I have Euronics light on my upright.
    Installed more than 2 years ago, they sounds better every day.
    Full, dark, slappable and a joy for fingerstyle.
    They also works with magnetic pick ups.
    Wery happy with them.

20. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I like Innovation super silvers