1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me a short scale!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Due to a wrist injury, I need to downscale to 30"-32" basses.

I am a bedroom player, and play all sorts from hard rock to disco. Mainly finger style but with a little pick and slap thrown in.

I'm a big Fender/Squier fan, but open to all other suggestions. Though I'd like to stay away from any neck divers.

I have around $800 and will buy new or used.

2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I love my CIJ Mustang. A little bit of neck dive, but the right strap will fix it.

The Squier Jag SS is a nice bass too, and cheap.

3. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    I just finished rebuilding a Fender Musicmaster from the early 70s. The original electronics are what let these basses down, since they were originally installed with a 6-pole guitar pickup. I put new CTS pots, a Switchcraft jack, shielding, and an Aero musicmasterer pickup in it, and it sounds really great. Not super cheap, but mine came to a total of 400 bucks, cheaper than any other quality vintage bass on the market.

4. I have recently looked into this and the Squier SS Jaguar seems to be the ticket in the "inexpensive 30" scale bass" category at about $180. Ibanez Mikro is 28.6" scale and also $180. Both use a P/J style pickup arrangement.

5. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    Squier Mikey Way or /fender Pawn shop mustang

6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    The Jag is a P/J setup, with the J in the '70's position' It's actually a surprisingly nice bass for the price.

7. Alexlotl

Alexlotl

Nov 9, 2012
    York, UK
    Jag SS can be neck-divey, although there are plenty of suggestions in the Jag SS thread about how to counter this, including lighter tuning heads, thick leather straps, heavier bridge hardware and even tyre weights in a bridge ashtray. There seems to be a fair variation in weight, so some of the heavier ones don't dive.

Sounds sweet as though, and has a slim fast neck.

8. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Drake Custom. Website info here: www.drakecustombass.com .

I play and endorse these basses. Andrew does an exceptional job with 32" and 33" scale basses, and they weigh in the 7.5 - 9 pound. range. Great quality of workmanship. Playability is the best I've ever experienced. The sound can be made to what you want, but is always big, bold and punchy. These basses cut a live mix exceptionally well.

I have a 34" for sale: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/drake-custom-marilyn-964760/ but it's likely not for you, since it is a 34" scale.

These basses might exceed your budget, but if one can help you recover from the injury and keeps you playing long term, it might be worth it.

I'd encourage you to visit the website and contact Andrew to check basses that may be available and to see what he can build for you.

Hope this helps.

Koog

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Squier Bronco with an upgraded pickup, pots, and maybe tuners.

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks for the ideas :)

Any more? Strongly prefer something without neck dive

11. I have an SX ss Pbass, easy to play, sounds fine for bedroom noodling (I did upgrade the guts with US Fender), has a little neck dive, but really not noticable with a decently grippy strap. Plus, it'll save you about $600. :D

12. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
  13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have a 74' also. I put in a 78' P bass wiring harness and got rid of the 2 cap setup and it sounds great now. The Squier Vista Musicmaster's pop up here and there. I have one and its a great bass with a loud, growly pup in it.

14. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Sub'd. I'm looking for a SS too.

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I can't help you with neck dive, I've played all kinds of basses that supposedly have it and never noticed any problems. I guess some of us just are not sensitive to it. You can probably find a SS Jag to try somewhere and form your own opinion, the only one that counts, about how well it is balanced. Fender/Squier also make various short scale Bronco and Mustang models. I like the looks of the Squier VM Telecaster basses which are 32 inch. The last three basses on the Eastwood Guitars website are short scales.

Now they are a different sort of beast but would a 30 inch bass VI or a 27-28 inch baritone guitar make an interesting choice for you? They can be played fingerstyle and picked but I think slapping is out of the question. Baritones are traditionally tuned higher but many guitarists tune them as low as a bass and some tune them down to D. Fender makes the new Pawn Shop Bass VI and a Blacktop Telecaster Baritone. On Eastwood's web page the last two guitars just above the basses are Sidejack Baritones and the first bass is a Sidejack Bass VI. Schecter has made some bass VI models recently, I don't know if they make any currently. Many guitar makers have a baritone or two sprinkled in their catalogs but they are often hard to find. Rondo/Douglas/Essex/Brice/Agile/etc/etc/etc makes short scale basses, an Argus bass VI, and several baritones.

Ken

16. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
  17. Formula144

Formula144

Sep 27, 2011
    Yup. Bought a used Jag SS from the classifieds here, and it had a very light body and noticeable neck dive. A set of Hipshot Ultralite tuners solved the problem.

Just bought a used Ibanez Mikro, which sounds great for the price. The neck is even smaller than the Jag.

18. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    a +1 for the Ibanez Mikro... i put a set of ground wounds on a friends and whoa!.. stunned at the tone.

19. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Smartass answer: Guidoian hexachord.

20. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Since you are a big Fender/Squier fan I would suggest looking for a used made in Japan 32" Fender or Squier P bass. They popup the in the classifieds here sometimes and on Ebay. In my opinion they blow away the Mustangs.
    If you can afford a little more look for a used Birdsong or Landing.
    One bass I really want to check out is the short scale Warwick Rock bass

[​IMG]