1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me some strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Dec 9, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Hi! I'm trying to find strings that would feet into the music I'm playing at the moment. I used to play funk and acid jazz stuff before. I had Spector bass then and my favorite strings were D'Addario XL Nickel Wound. They sounded smooth and modern. But then I switched to rock music(U2, Coldplay), I also switched from Spector to vintage custom made Jazz Bass copy with Di-marzio pickups. I stringed it with some cheap korean strings I bought on ebay (12 sets for 40$) and it sounded amazing in the mix, I could hear every note, though it was not very comfortable to play those cheap strings. Then again I tried my favorite D'Addario XL Nickel Wound, but it wasn't that good vintage sound anymore and also it was lost in the mix. So I'm looking for strings that have that vintage rock sound, not getting lost in the mix and are comfortable. What could be the options? Thanks.

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Fender pure nickels 7150 will give you vintage sound. They were, I think the first roundwound offered for Fender basses. None more vintage. They also seem to never go bad.

3. You, my brother, want to get yourself some Rotosound 66's. They are the original roundwounds, that and they are stainless steel. The brightness of the steel will definitly cut through the mix. But don't let the brightness wig you out, they will still be great for classic and modern rock.

Peace out!

(P.S. I don't work for Rotosound, incase you were wondering, lol.)

4. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Thanks for help guys! I will definitely check Fender and Rotosound.

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Dragoon's suggestion will get you bright and punchy Entwhistle vintage, mine will get you warm and thumpy vintage.

The Fender's will be easier on your hands, in my experience.

Vintage means different things to different people.

Interesting how Roto's first roundwound strings and Fender's first roundwound strings could be such opposites.

6. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Thanks! I already checked Rotosound web, they have samples for different type of strings they are offering, of course we have no idea how it was recorded, which bass, amp e.t.c. But it gives an idea what it sounds like. Rotosound 66`s sound pretty nice also I like samples of 99`s. But I will check both brands anyway , prices for both Fender and Rotosound are friendly and probably also some other. I was thinking of DR's. I'll try to get more opinions and then will buy 5-6 different sets to find my new favorite. Actually I've never thought that strings are so important component of the sound before.

7. Nemesis_2509

Nemesis_2509

Aug 23, 2006
    Texas
    In my experience i was never able to get the rotosounds i put on my bass to sound anything like those samples. Just a word of caution, i bought them hoping to get something close to that tone but the strings didnt seem to deliver. And on top of that, the rotos are known for eating frets (over time of course but still not good).

I think you may want to try Ernie Ball slinky's also. To me they always seemed to have a sound right in the middle (not overly bright like Stainless), however they do seem to go dead kinda quickly.

DR's are nice but have a different tone then any ive heard. They sound almost piano like to me, really smooth feel and easy to play on but im not sure if that bell like tone is what youd like but its still really nice sounding. too bad the price is a little higher, they do last a while though.

Just thought id warn you about the rotosounds, hope i helped.