Recommendations on Acoustic/Electric for Latin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ComeHomeShane, May 3, 2019.

1. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    I just started playing with my first Latin cover band. I've never spent good time on a double, so I'm not quite ready to make the jump to an Ampeg baby bass. I would like to purchase an acoustic/electric bass to replicate that baby bass sound until I can make the leap with a big purchase. I'm looking for something with a big acoustic thump sound that also has reliable electronics. Most A/E basses I'm finding either have too thin of a sound (Ovation series) or the electronics are sketchy (Takamine GB30CE). (edit*) Or when plugged in they don't retain that acoustic tone.

For reference, I play on a G&L Jazz Bass 4 and a G&L Kiloton (when I want a humbucker). Both have the slim jazz width nut... I have smaller hands.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Canada
    Not sure what an Ibanez Alien is, but have you tried the Ibanez SRH series? Available in either fretless or fretted 4 or 5 string. They have piezo pickup in the saddle and a hollow section in the body. I think they sound pretty good. Good luck.

ComeHomeShane likes this.
  3. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    Cool. Looks like it won't be too hard to demo one of these nearby.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022