1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RECOMMENDED 4x10 FOR REGGAE??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konan888, Sep 17, 2010.

1. I am considering dropping my current arrangement of cabinets
    (1x15, 2x10) and buying a 4x10. I love playing reggae and rock with reggae incorporated into it. (Ex "Sublime")

I would like to ask if you could offer any recommendations?

Cheers!

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Should have been posted in Amps, but...Look at the Genz Benz 410t-xb2 or the Ampeg 410HLF.

3. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I use a Carvin 4X10....very nice.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
  5. Thanks guys. Sorry. I have moved it over to amps. How do I delete this thread?

6. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    This thread is now in Amps.

7. I thought this was amps. Where is amps?

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. A 4x10 'Red Eye'. I love it.

9. Thats two for Carvin. Why the Red eye and not the UB?

10. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I meant that you didn't have to delete the thread, since it's where it is supposed to be.

11. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I had the Ampeg 410HLF, and while it was nice sounding, it was too mid scooped for me no matter what I did. I've moved on to a sealed box, which I prefer at this moment. However, if I was to make a new purchase, I would take a look at the GB Uber 410 as well. I love the low end in reggae, but I don't like the lows to sound too mushy, I try to keep my tone nice and fat yet keep the low end pretty tight, and the low mids are definately important.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The fEarful 15/6 (and the 12/6, in a smaller way) is the best reggae cabinet under a thousand dollars in the world. :)

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Or in my case 15/6+15/sub. But he seems interested in a 4x10. I also understand that some guys may not have the motivation for the build.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I pretty much just ignore it when people ask for a 4x10 for reggae..there's maybe two that are suitable (imho) and they're hideously expensive. Really not the most efficient way to get that kinda sound - for tones focused on the bottom end it's just cheaper to use 15s as all things being equal one 15 will do as much as 2.5 10" woofers and cost as much as 1.5.

There're now enough guys out there building them I wouldn't use the build as a reason not to get one.

That said: If you're stuck on commercial cabinets, the best affordable dub box in the 4x10 formfactor I can think of is the GK Neo 4x10. It's not really naturally tonally reggae sounding, but it's super loud and will put out lots and lots of upper bass on demand. Blows the pants off the Carvin 4x10 in my opinion, and the Avatar 4x10 too. More beef than Carvin and a smoother top end than Avatar.

15. I am not stuck on a 4x10. I was thinking efficiency. I just want a good reggae cab!

Cheers Guys. Appreciate all your advice!

16. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I love the Genz Uber410...however dual Uber210's are a bit bigger sounding.

17. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Another vote for the Ampeg 410HLF. Power + Tone + Booty

18. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    The David Eden 4 x10 cabs move a lot of air and sound great. The Ampeg 410 hlf is always a safe bet too and you can find them used all day long for great prices.

19. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Well, then...I'll suggest a 2x15 cabinet.

20. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I layed into some good dub at a bar last night with my bag end S-15 B, the larger of their 15" cabs. It has a removable port, it is big and sounds huge, and I can't wait to get a second one so I can wallow in the massive booty shaking rumble.
    + no tweeter in the bag end, and I don't miss it for dubwise stuff.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021