Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommended Luthiers in the Houston Area

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dizug, Sep 3, 2005.

1. dizug

dizug

May 16, 2005
    Greetings, all. This is my first post on this forum, though I have been reading it for some time.

I would like some information on the Luthiers in the Houston area. Does anyone have any specific experience or recommendations they would like to share?

I just purchased a Wan Bernadel (which I am loving) but it seems to need a little adjustment to the bridge and/or fingerboard. The E and A strings buzz against the fingerboard when I play in first position, and I have to press overly hard to get them to stop completely.

Apparently the drastic climate shift from Arizona to the heat and humidity in Lake Jackson TX was a little too much!

Also, any estimates on how much this type of work might cost would be helpful as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug Rickaway

2. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    Jim Scoggen at Houston String Repair/Band Instrument Exchange on Jameel St. (NW part of town) just finished fitting a bridge and setup for gut strings. I had the bridge and strings - $125. I guess it varies from bass to bass. I also had repairs done at extra cost - turned out well.

Also, there is Phillip Gold at the Gold Violin Shop near Bellaire (SW part of town). Never used him, but he's been recommended.

I do know that Jim is a bass player, and knows what he is doing on basses. I am quite pleased with Jim's work. He's a very nice guy, professional, courteous... A good experience.
    Got me out within a week. Not bad since school repairs are flooding in.

Bill

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I always recommend players to contact Symphony members when repairs are needed because they would best know. If you can get rid of the Buzzing by pressing harder then one or more of these things are occurring.
    1) you are new to the DB and have to build up your left hand.
    2) the nut was left too high and it is hard to press down the strings.
    3) the fingerboard has too much scoup in that area or end to end.
    4) the bridge was left high.
    5) the neck stand does not allow for a lower bridg and still bow the outer strings.
    6) the fingerboard has some high spots.

It can be any of these things or a combination of a few of them. A Bass player/repairer can be your best choice but only if he is good at both.
    The symphony players often have very valuable Basses and also need them set up to play very difficult music so they would know who is best for you.

4. dizug

dizug

May 16, 2005
    Ken,

I took your advice and found out who the Houston Symphony guys go to for repair - which was Amati Violin Shop.

I took my bass in and had the bridge adjusted and recut. He also adjusted the nut and brought the strings closer together. It seems any problems with buzzing, tone, sustain, etc. were attributed to bad set up.