Record with preamp => mac

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Detonation, Jan 7, 2006.

1. It might have been covered already, I did some searching but couldn't exactly find what I was looking for.

To save money, I was thinking of recording the bass tracks of the next album of my band at home. The studio we were using had basically the same computer as I have (Apple Powermac G4 dual 1,42 Ghz) and used a simple DI. Nothing I can't do right? Save me $80 an hour.

I was wondering what's the best way to go. It's just the recording: mixing and producing will be done in a studio. I have an Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp which I intend to use. Using this amp, I figure I need a PCI card or firewire interface to get the signal into the mac. What would you recommend for this? There's a very large variety of these things with different prices. I don't need any fancy software or effect, just a reliable input. I prefer Firewire because my computer is quite full already. I know for instance Behringer makes a firewire interface (FCA 202) which is fairly cheap ($80). Is it good enough?
  2. i've been wondering the same thing since i've been looking at the behringer for my laptop, has anyone usedit yet?
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    an m-audio fasttrack will do it if all you wanna do is get bass tracks into your computer. Look at the m-audio stuff, its pretty good bang for the bucl. Ive never used anything made by behringer that i was very happy with, especially recording. If you actually wanna use the tracks on the album your tone needs to be that of a studio. Your bass-di-computer pre is probably your best bet. My DI on my ampeg doesnt sound all that great. Maybe look for a high quality DI.
  4. And what would be a good DI or good preamp with (good) DI?
  5. hey man i'll be picking up the behringer on monday so i'll be sure to put a review up here and let you know how it is.