Recording Demo- Please help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hekbass, May 28, 2005.

1. Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Hey, even though I have been PLAYING for 13 years, I have focused on that alone - meaning, I am almost totally in the dark when it comes to recording equipment and techniques. I want to record a demo, by myself, with the help of a friend who really has no proper recording experience either, but at least seems to know more than me about equipment and such (I have never owned an MP3 player - I don't think I have even taken a close look at one). He has access to a mixing board at a church, and told me I could just plug into the board, and he would hook up his MP3 recorder, upload into his computer, and burn to CD. I will record some pieces all by myself (just bass), and some others with a percussionist. Should I plug in directly into this board, or use a DI (something I have never owned)? Or should I mike my amp and the percussion player? Do you think this (or one of these) setups will result in an acceptable enough sound? I do not expect hi-fi, audiophile quality - it's just a demo. I am broke, and I really cannot afford much else at the moment. Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help. :crying:
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Mic your amp, and mic the percussion.

bass directly into a mixer generally sounds bad...

i like to run my TNT's FX loop out to mixing boards so it gets my tone settings too...
  3. Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Thanks, man.
    Any other suggestions, anyone?
    Would miking my amp with an average/vocal mic give me an acceptable sound through the mixing board and to the MP3 recorder? And if so, should I cut back on the lows on my amp to get a clearer sound?