Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording eh?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spidersbass, Dec 12, 2004.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i'm pretty new to this. i have no idea what to get so if you guys can help me out here it would be cool. here's what i want to do:

1. record my bass and guitar to the program through a microphone in front of the speakers of my amp. not at the same time of course, i guess this is called "track" recording.

2. since i don't play drums (but i have good ideas of what beat would go good with what riff), i need the program to have different percussion instruments i can program MYSELF to make a cool drum beat.

and thats basically it. i have absolutely NOTHING right now. just a computer. no sound card (i dont' even know what that is), no nothing.

thanks in advance...

2. Garage Band sounds like it would be good, but I'm pretty sure it's Macintosh only. It's a pretty cool program that allows to you record and mix stuff, and make your own drum beats/loops.

I think a mixer and a decent mic would be good. You can get more than decent results this way. A program like CoolEdit Pro or Cubase would work, but some are very expensive. Granted you can probably find some of these programs illegally, but I guess that's not really encouraged. I think you're better off buying a cheap program like GoldWave, that seems to get the job done for me (although I don't make any layered recordings with it).

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    garage band is for mac only. but i heard its good, but i gots no mac.

as for a mixer and a decent mic, wont i need some program on my computer for that?

and that goldwave thing, can it make layered recordings?

4. For software I think Cakewalk Home Studio 2XL would give you what you want. It's not very expensive, about $150, it's pretty easy to use and has an excellent drum program called "session drummer".
    If you only need to record one instrument at a time you should look into something like this
    http://www.music123.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-i147890.music?source=froogle

5. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    that cakewalk thing... don't i also need some mics and a mixer and what not?