Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording in a glass box

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Aug 12, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    if you could reocrd in a glass box or room would that sound good or have good acoustics . or would it sound real bad beucase of the sound not being able to bounce of anything.

2. Do you have access to a glass room or box big enough to record in?

3. it would probably rattle a bit, and you'd have to be very light on your feet

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i mean theres a chance you could get it to sound good if you had amazing mic placement but if you followed kinda standards of recording most engineers would kill themselves before they recorded in a glass room. that being said we have 2 windows in our studio, which is a sound proof room. Sometimes i use the windows to bounce sound off to get a weird effect. I have a friend who works in a studio that has a room that would be as close as you could get to a glass room. Instead of sound absorbtion foam they have tunable wood panels that you can screw tight so the sound bounces off the side, or loosen them to absorb more sound. That might be close to what your thinking.

5. If I was in it, it would sound terrible cause I'd be constantly yelling I'm in a glass case of emotion!

6. Glass is VERY reflective, so a glass room would likely have excessive & uncontrollable reverb/echo. If that's what you're after, go glass.

7. Not too much different from the proverbial ceramic tile bathroom wouldn't you think?

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Nah, ceramics have absorptive properties that straight-up glass doesn't. Glass would mainly reflect, reflect, reflect, I think.