1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording the VT Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andvari7, Mar 27, 2009.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yeah, this probably belongs in the Recording Equipment forum, but this may have some relevance here. For those who have the VT Bass, how do you record with it? I have a Lightsnake cable, and it is absolutely terrible. I used my guitar with it, and it wouldn't give that grindy sound I got before (meaning: I plug it into the effects return on my amp, and it sounds fantastic; I plug it into my MacBook, and it's very bad).

2. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I Mic my amp into the board.

I dont know what to say. I have never tried it direct

3. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I plug it into my amp, then use the pre-amp out via 1/4" USB cable (I guess this is a lightsnake) to my computer. If I go straight into the computer I can't hear.

4. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    The preamp of the mac's line-in is awful and if the lightsnake has one it's probably similarly gross. I use an M-Audio Fast Track USB, basically a little preamp box with an XLR and a 1/4" in, and I run the XLR line out from my amp into that and then into my computer with regular old USB cable. They're pretty cheap (maybe $100 new, $50 used). http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...k-USB-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=703606

5. Dfinch

Dfinch

Dec 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I run it in my Zoom B9.1UT's effects loop and have a patch setup that has the effect loop as the only effect in the patch. It sounds identical to when it's used alone. I have some effects programmed into that patch but they are switched off most of the time I'm using it.

I also use it to replace the onboard pre-amp simulations on a bunch of my patches.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just used it on a recording and plugged it right into the soundcard. Worked great.

7. I use a Line6 TonePort GX - and when im recording bass, i just switch off all the simulation/emulation stuff so it just records direct, meaning the VT does its job properly and i much prefer the VT to ANY of the bass models, and if i need guitar/vocal/keyboard stuff its all there anyway

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    And, for some reason, the Lightsnake/VT Bass combo is working splendidly now. I think it may have something to do with the 1973 P-Bass I plugged into it. That thing is magical.

9. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    If I'm going from a Passive bass, to the VT pedal, and then to my amp head, should I be using the active in on my amp head?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, but then again, I never ever use active inputs ever ever ever and I think they're a waste of an input or switch. YMMV.

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Yeah...that's what I kinda was thinking too. Its a GK MB2 head with a -10 db pad button is that matters.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It doesn't, bro.

13. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    OK...thanks man!

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    You only need the active input if you are getting unwanted distortion/clipping from your preamp due to an overly hot signal. Go easy on the volume control on the VT, set it so it's roughly the same volume as your bypassed signal and you should be golden.

15. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Coll...that's what I've been doing so I'm good to go. Thanks for the help guys!