Recording with a phone through the amp headset output: is it dangerous?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by zuppermati, May 15, 2021.

1. zuppermati

zuppermati

Jul 19, 2019
    Hello everyone.
    I have this hobby of recording myself while playing the songs I learn and to send the audio to my friends oversea as a way to keep in touch. The issue is that I live in a student dorm and I've started to receive noise complaints from the other students in the building (can't really blame them), so I'm now forced to use my Fender Rumble 100's headphones output instead than its speakers.
    Due to my limited moneys resources, I wanted to avoid to spend 50 bucks for an audio interface unless strictly necessary. Instead, I've found a much cheaper alternative by plugging an headset y splitter to my amp's headset output. One output of such splitter is plugged to my headphones (so I can hear what I'm playing) and the second is plugged to an aux male to male 3.5mm cable I had around. Then, I've plugged the other end of the aux cable to the female mic ingress of another headphone y splitter cable. The male end of such splitter cable is then connected to my phone. By using this rather weird setup, i'm able to record my amp's output through a recording app on my phone.

My phone records the audio super clearly, and it sounds just as it sounds through my headphones. However, I was reading mixed opinions about this procedure: some people says that it's safe, while other people says it could potentially damage your phone, so I wanted to know if you could clarify wether it's safe or not and if it's not, why.

Many thanks in advance
    Regards.

Cloven Hoof and RattleSnack like this.
  2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    That's a clever way to record. It can't harm your phone in any way; if signal is not hot (clipping), than everything is OK.
    I am guessing someone misunderstood you when you said you are conecting phone and bass amp, thinking "his amp has huge output". In reality, you can do anything with simple aux out signal, and not damage any equipment.

3. zuppermati

zuppermati

Jul 19, 2019
    Thanks a lot. Dumb question: does overdrive count as clipping? (My rumble 100 has an overdrive mode but I'm not sure on wether it's just an effect or proper overdrive)

4. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    No, it's not the kind of clipping I mentioned. Simple rule for your situation: if signal is not too strong for heaphones, it's ok for your phone input.

seamonkey and zuppermati like this.
  5. zuppermati

zuppermati

Jul 19, 2019
    Got it. Thanks a lot!

RattleSnack likes this.
  6. Cloven Hoof

Cloven Hoof

Mar 1, 2021
    Texas
    Could I ask what app you're using? I have a rumble 100 and galaxy s10 android. Was just curious of the recording app's name. Thanks

7. zuppermati

zuppermati

Jul 19, 2019
    Cloven Hoof likes this.