1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording with a sansamp (split signal chain)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Hey guys

I have a sansamp programmable and am thinking about doing some recordings with a new recorder I'm going to get this week. I'm interested in a digidesign interface that comes with protools, but I havent decided yet. But thinking ahead, I have a question....

Situation:
    I'll have a 2+ input recording interface (like a digidesign mbox or whatever with XLR and 1/4" jacks) that will be running to protools or some other software on my comp for mixing/editing ect.

Lets say I run my bass into the sansamp and then split the signal:
    XLR out straight out (clean sound)
    1/4" out through effects (chorus, distorition, wah, ect.)

Then I run both of those back to the interface and to the computer to blend them or adjust levels.

Does anybody see any problems with this, or things I should look out for if I do this?

Thanks
    Dan

2. anybody?
    I'm probobly going to buy a mbox on ebay tomorrow...

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I used an Mbox and RBI for the last album I did.

The 1/4" out is going to need a direct box after the effects but before it hits the Mbox.

4. even though the mbox has a 1/4" input?

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    The quarter inch is really an instrument or line input, and not a good one at that.

IME, you'll always get better results going through a good DI. With a poor (or no) DI, the bass and treble just isn't there.