1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Red Panda Lab Granular Delay Pitch Shift

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wolffman, May 12, 2011.

1. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs

Attached Files:

2. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Do want! This would be fantastic in doom/drone stuff for background noise and build up

3. Yes.

4. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    What exactly does it do though?

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Looks interesting. I have the Red Bander Bitcrusher, which I actually keep as an (almost) always on on effect in one of my loops for the electric piano kind of setting.

6. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA

As for what the Particle does… I’m not adept enough in synthesis to describe exactly what it’s doing in detail. The most basic information I can offer is that it samples the sounds you are making in VERY small pieces- 1-50ms small- each one of these little pieces (grains) can be played back at different speeds and pitches and then layered on top of one another. It’s kind of like sampling a sound in real time and then chopping it into very very tiny pieces and mixing them back on top of each other to create a new sound.

Have you ever taken a sample of music and tried to speed it up or slow it down? If you have you’ll notice the faster you make it the higher the pitch becomes and inversely the slower the playback is the lower it becomes. Granular synthesis remedies this by taking the little pieces of sound and stretching or condensing the space between them but keeping the grains the same size.

7. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Hmm that makes sense. So is it shifting pitch at the same time it's delaying/repeating your signal?

8. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    I think it can shift at the same time its delaying/repeating. I dont know if it has to simultaneously delay and pitch shift. With only audio and no visual as to whats going on in real time it is hard for me to see. This is not an effect I know very much about... but it sounds trppy and spacey. def into it.

9. eti

eti

Nov 15, 2009
    Hi guys. I've tried the prototype, and in fact made that sample in the OP, so I can shed some light.

The knob in the lower right is a rotary switch to choose between 3 pitch (orange) modes and 5 delay (green) modes. Which ever mode is selected changes how the upper right most knob, labled "param," adjusts the grains.

The pitch / delay knob controls either pitch or delay depending on if a pitch or delay mode is selected by the rotary knob. The expression input is wired to this knob (which plays a big part in the sample).

The rest of the knobs do not change function :)

The size knob controls size of grains, and whether the grains are "frozen" or not.

Blend knob is a clean/effect mix.

Feedback reprocesses the delay or pitch shifted signal.

So yes it can do some standard sounding pitch shifting and delay effects at certain settings, but IMO it really shines with more quirky/weird/interesting sounds for which it was designed. I'm dying to get ahold of the finished pedal!

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    It sounds like the TARDIS.

11. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Great Thanks!

Which mode did you use in the clip?

What do you mean "Frozen"?

Hows it sound on bass?

12. eti

eti

Nov 15, 2009
    welcome!

Well, it was a prototype, so it isn't going to be exactly like the final, but the mode was similar to the delay/pitch mode with feedback. The grain size was adjusted to create a droning overtone. The pitch was adjusted with an expression pedal.

the last sampled grains are repeated instead of being constantly resampled from live input.

I tried earlier prototypes with bass and it sounded great!