Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reed Mathis and Jason Smart interview

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Gonna get to see Reed again this wednesday with Steve Kimock and friends. He's also playing a couple shows with JFJO on the 31st which Im going too, and the Saturday after at a little festival thing in Waco. I can't wait!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have liked what I have heard from the Jacob Fred Jazz Oddessey (?), but I haven't been able to find the disc since I previewed it at Borders.

Cool interview.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    BET Jazz turned me on to Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, and I instantly dug it, and bought a few of their C.D.'s. Reed's use of effects is very cool :bassist:

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    There are some free live shows here (84 of em hehe): http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah lots of tasty things there. There is another one that has a lot of live shows and DVD's even here:

http://bt.etree.org/

Those are about the only two places I use anymore for music downloads.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Got to see Reed again last night with JFJO. Got to meet him and get him to sign my bass as well :hyper:

Super nice guy, we chatted for a good few minutes during set break. We talked basses mostly, go figure hehe. I told him about the site, maybe he'll stop by and post sometime :)

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    On a side note, they had a new drummer, Matthew Edwards. Anyone know what happened to Jason Smart?

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hmmm, the only reason I can think of is that Brian is going to be doing the Dead Kenny G's a lot more. Reed's been playing with Kimock lately. Jason might be having a lot more free time to do other stuff -they better not let him go too far away.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well, the Dead Kenny G's are keeping simlar schedules as JFJO, and the Kimock thing was just the 5 shows this year, allthough Reed did say he wanted to work with him as much as he was able. I thought I might have read someplace he was having a baby or something, but I get confused hehe. Of all the things I could have asked about, that one is just one I forgot to ask Reed hehe.

PS, gonna go see the DKG's Thursday for the 2nd time as well!

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    PS, gonna go see the DKG's Thursday for the 2nd time as well!

You suck Juneau - I'm green with envy.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Did I mention Harry Apes BMX is playing the next room beforehand? I got to see them this past Saturday as well, they traded places with JFJO in the lineup hehe. I know, Im cruel lol.

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Reed's a great guy and a hell of a bassist. Reed, Jason and Brian are all friends of a buddy of mine and I've rapped with them a bit in the past. Brian Haas is incredibly humble and gracious.

I need to see them again, but soon! If you REALLY want to see something that will blow your mind, check out a double-bill featuring JFJO and The Slip.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm a big fan of the Slip :bassist: