Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reed Mathis?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Juneau, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Any of yall familiar with this guy? I saw a show of the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey last weekend, and this bass player simply blew me away. Played an all electric set with his Fender Jazz, and some cool effects. Just curious what others think of this guy if they have heard him. And if you havent heard him, go check it out! hehehe

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hmmm, check a couple threads down ;) He's also a monster on the upright - and you'll never see anybody play the grand piano like Brian Haas. Oh, and the drummer is a genius too.
    www.jfjo.com
    I could talk about these guys all day long. I saw them live about 10 times when I was in CA and now I'm having withdrawals. I have a whole mess of live stuff if anybody wants to hear more?
    I believe Les Claypool was quoted in an old BP mag something to the effect of: you'll be hearing a lot about this guy, because he's doing new and innovative things on the bass.
    :bassist:

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats funny I didnt even notice the thread below hehe. I have read the jambase interviews, was good stuff. I actually got to see these guys with The Dead Kenny G's (Skerik, Mike Dillon, and Brian Haas) here at dada in Dallas. I think at least the Dead Kenny G's show is up at bt.etree.org.

Was a different show than the others I have of theirs. Maybe because of playing with Skerik, they turned it up a notch. It was awesome :)

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    You lucky S.O.B. I bet that was cool. I just donwloaded the shows from 1/13 to 1/15 last night - haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I will tonight. Did you see the crazy handbills/posters for the shows?! I think it needs to be my new avatar.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Actually, I bought a Dead Kenny G's Shirt. It has their name, and a pic of Kenny G with X's for eyes and a Soprano Sax comming out his butt lol. Drawn by none other than Les Claypool. (If you listen to the Dallas show of TDKGs, you'll hear em talk about it hehe).

Ill have to post a pic of it sometime lol.

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    hahaha - those guys are crazy. This is the one I was talking about...

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    hehe thats awesome, I didnt see any of those at Dada hehe.