Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reel Big Fish

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT, Sep 8, 2005.

1. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    Australia
    What do you think of them

2. 333halfevil

333halfevil

Sep 8, 2005
    I'm not a bass player, and I probably lost about ten cool points for admitting that, but you asked what I thought about Reel Big Fish, and I have to say, I love that band. But I love ska so liking RBF is a given. I can't say that they are necessarily a innovative band, they're ska, and to most people all ska sounds the same, but RBF has great energy in their music and it gets me going when I'm down and out. If you dig on Ska, then check out some of the punk varieties out there. My personal favorites are sublime and NOFX. They're nothing like RBF, sublime is more reggae, hip-hop, rock, punk, ska (*don't be discouraged by my discription, they're freaking great) and NOFX is down and dirty punk at its finest, but punk with a tight horn section, so you'll definately like them. Their best stuff can be found on the "I heard they suck live" CD. Check those bands out and let me know what you think!

3. Saw them at a festival... they were fun, and it has been the biggest moshpit i've ever been in.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Uhm, I believe at a Ska show it's called a "Skank Pit." Which I enjoy to the fullest.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love 'em. I just spent 2 months touring with them, and they are an amazing live band. Matt Wong, bassist, has no idea how good he is. AMAZINGLY solid bassist.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's one thing I do like about ska, they almost always have a great bassist. Matt Wong is tight.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Although I think most of their stuff is corny, I've seen them about 3-5 times, and I must say that they're at least entertaining and have a great bassist. I prefer Buck-O-Nine, Skankin Pickle, Catch 22, and Suicide Machines to get my Ska fill over RFB.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I guess it's a matter of taste. The reason I like RBF is because I'm a Oingo Boingo fan, and lyrically, that's who they remind me of. I'm not an in the pit skanker, but as far as just watching a band, I thought they were cool. We toured with Catch 22 as well, and they are a fun band. I found the Pietasters to be a huge disappointment. They no longer seem to care.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    What band are you with? I'm guessing a ska type band if you're doing touring with Catch 22 and RBF, because most of those bands tour with eiter ska or punk bands.

*Edit: How stupid of me...I forgot you were in El Pus!