1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reeves Custom 225 vs Hiwatt Custom 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Dallyd31

Dallyd31 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Has anybody been able to compare both of these amps ? I know the Hiwatts are more expensive and was wondering if there was any benefit in the extra cost.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    At that level, it comes down to small tonal differences, and it's all about your ears. Both are uber high quality tube amps, and neither is "better" than the other. The only camparison that has any bearing is how it sounds to you.

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    The Reeves is $2500 and the Hiwatt is $3600, am I correct? In the past year I acquired an Ampeg CL ($1600) and a Fender bassman 300 ($1850) and this is after sending back an SvT2Pro and SVT-VR for different reasons. This reminds me of the Monopoly Game, I must be still living in Marvins Gardens and not on Park Place. There is a market for these amps or they wouldn't be making them. I'm sure that they both are great sounding heads , once you are past $2000 they better be!!!. On this Forum, you'll find an owner of each head and then we can get their reviews .......:cool:

4. Dallyd31

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I have seen a review by Tombowlus of the Reeves but haven't seen much on the Hiwatt...maybe because they are $3000+ and you can buy a "real" vintage Hylight era one for that.

Just wondering if the Reeves really are bang-on "Hiwatt" worthy amps

5. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    The Reeves C225 is a little bit higher power and more voiced for bass compared to the both the newer and vintage version of the Hiwatt DR201 Custom 200. The C225 was inspired by the DR201, but there are some differences in component values. Reeves amps have far better built quality than the newer Hiwatts, and nothing beats the quailty of an unmolested vintage Hiwatt. Newer Music Ground built Hiwatts are very spotty regarding the soldering work. Several amp technicians have posted photos and stories related to repairs and on the shoddy wiring in new Hiwatts. Maybe things have improved there in the past couple years, but as far as I can tell, the MG Hiwatts are way overpriced.

I've seen a couple early 70s DR201 amps sell on eBay in the past 6 months, one sold at $2,800 and still had GEC tubes, and the other one fetched $2,475 I think. These are a far better deal over the new ones. The Reeves amps are worth it too.

6. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I've logged substantial time with both amps, and IMO AwkwardLoudness has pretty much summed it up. The Reeves C225 pretty much performs like a DR201 on steriods; same basic character and tone but bigger and bolder, and head and shoulders above the current MG Hiwatts in build quality.

However, bass amplification is just a fraction of both Reeves and Hiwatt's sales, by far they both sell more amps for guitar applications.
    A good place to get heads up Reeves/Hiwatt comparisons is on The Gear Page, there are maybe a hundred Reeves/Hiwatt comparison threads posted by players who own both and/or have played both extensively; a good resource for people wanting to get a feel for the Reeves/Hiwatt comparison.

7. orr

orr

Dec 1, 2007
    I've been saving for an SVT-CL and decided to keep saving and go for the SVT-VR and possibly the HSVT-CL and am SO curious about your comment. What made you send the 2Pro and VR back and then go with the SVT-CL ?

8. Dallyd31

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    That's great info...thanks !