Refinishing an MIA Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I recently bought an MIA Precision Bass online and got to play with it during a rehearsal this past weekend. The tone I got from this thing was just unreal - gooey thick rich goodness throughout. Loved it.

I wasn't really impressed with the aesthetics of the bass, though I must say. Meaning, I got one in a sunburst finish and not sure I really like it. It isn't as well done as that on my Sadowsky - and the body looks like it was made with two (very different) scrap pieces of wood slapped together. Just looks cheap.

Was thinking about possibly refinishing in a nice, solid color - like Sonic Blue perhaps. This would have been my first choice anyway, if that color were offered on an MIA Precision. Just curious about refinishing - is it a good or bad idea? Are there recommendations on where to get that done (I live in the PacNW, so am wondering if Warmoth or USACG would possibly do something like that)? Any idea on what something like that would cost?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  3. I'd get it refinished in TV or Banana Yellow, but that's just me.

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Can I send him the entire bass for him to disassemble, refinish, re-assemble or would I need to do disassemble first?

5. Thanks for the suggestion! I Think I'll look into it myself! How much did it cost you?

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I believe you can but it will cost you a lot more. Both in his labor and in shipping costs.
    I would take it all apart myself or have a local tech that you trust take it apart and reassemble it and do a complete set up.

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have seen his work but have not used him myself. I like having mine done in nitro and he does not paint with it. I use Southbound Custom guitars.
    Nitro also takes a long time to have done properly and most people are not willing to wait.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  8. Ehhh I'm in no rush all the time, so the waiting part isn't the problem. It's cost. Most people are financially squeezed and can't afford to have this done right away.

I would've have had Wilkins redo my MIM P from midnight wine to a solid Olympic White but I realized the midnight wine shines in the spotlight in a way no other colour can really seem to replicate. True story.

It looks sexy.

9. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Got a quote from Pat - $300 for the re-finish and $125 for disassembly/assembly + shipping

For those interested. Seems like a good guy

10. Yeah I got the same quota for my MIM P as well, although I don't think I'll pull the trigger on it anytime soon.

11. Its a P bass, anyone with 2 sizes of phillips screw driver can take one apart in 10-15 minutes and shipping a body is roughly $25, a whole bass and case? $75+

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I thought about that, figuring it would be fairly easy - but never done it before. Might just give it a whirl...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021