1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refret Rickenbacker - who can I trust?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by billoetjen, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hi Folks,

My beautiful 4003 isn't anywhere near needing it yet. But one day...

Does anyone know of a tech out there who reliably can refret a Ric to factory spec (besides, of course, Rickenbacker, itself)?

I ask because the C/S is one of the worst things I hear about the company. :eek:

Thanks,

Bill

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Sure. You'll need to ship it either to Aloha, Oregon or Seattle, Washington.

Look up Dale Fortune or Mark Arnquist.

3. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Mar 5, 2010
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    slightly OT, but has anyone tried just getting rid of the thick "bar-top" finish on the fretboard and re-fretting it like a normal instrument? (i'm not a ric player, but a "regular" rosewood board sure seems like it would be friendlier for maintenance.)

5. RevNigel

RevNigel

Apr 15, 2011
    I have a great working relationship with a Luthier here in Ohio.. but that's a little far away for ya. That Lacquered fretboard makes it a challenge eh....

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    You might want to talk to this guy.
    HOMEWOOD MUSICAL INSTRUMENT COMPANY Tedrow Concertinas
    A friend had a very old very nice D28 and one night at practice he moved his chair and one of the legs went in to the gap between the case and the guitar which was laying behind him in the case with the top open. The chair leg tore a gaping hole in to, and pretty much destroyed the side between the bouts. I honestly thought it was done for, but after Mr. Burns got done you can't tell from looking or from how it sounds that anything ever happened to it. He's also done work for my brother and several other people I know who've had one of those gut wrenching Oh $&!+ moments with an instrument.
    I've never met the guy, but his work is always top drawer and he has a major local rep. If I ever had a serious problem he'd be my first pick.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021