1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Regenerate Guitar Works PJ5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by VroomVroom, Jun 29, 2019.

1. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Price:
    $1500
    Strings:
    For Sale:
    Regenerate Guitar Works PJ5

DSC_9116-regen-front-full.

Price: $1,500. Greatly prefer San Francisco Bay Area local sale. CONUS shipping available at buyer's expense - actual cost, via UPS Ground insured.

Specs:
    Alder body, maple neck, roasted pau ferro fingerboard (no dots)
    34" scale, 19mm string spacing, 21 frets
    Teak oil finish over marine-grade sealant
    Red tortoise pick guard
    Hipshot A bridge & ultralight tuners, Dunlop strap locks.
    Honey Badger hum-cancelling J and Vintage P pickups (P Route can be reversed)
    Controls: Vol (pull to remove J pickup from circuit)-Blend-Tone (push/pull - down is Vintage, up is Modern)
    Estimated weight: 9.0 lbs.

Background:
    This was a 2017 NAMM bass, crafted by Rod, the owner of Regenerate Guitar Works and Honey Badger Pickups. I attended the show in support of Devon Basses, and the three companies shared a booth. This bass was the star of the show, and I told myself if no one else bought it, I'd have to grab it. After Uriah Duffy (wish I could find the video, but it appears Regenerate has pulled down all of their youtube assets) played it I figured there'd be no chance I'd land it, but... Side note: in the Bass Musician NAMM vids of the booth this bass can be seen wearing a black pickguard.

Since then, sadly, Regen/Honey Badger has closed shop. Rod designs and crafts magical instruments and electronics, and I genuinely hope he reenters the game. Even among the true good guys of the industry, Rod stands out.

Notes:
    Rod subscribes to the idea that a well designed five-string bass can have a 34" scale and passive electronics. This bass shows he's right (and generally you can have my BART NTMB's when you pry 'em from my cold fingers). Unplugged, this bass is fantastic. Everything is in there sonically.

Even though it's passive, this bass has hot-rodded electronics. The volume knob is push/pull, and when in the 'up' position, the J pickup is removed from the circuit entirely. Similarly, the tone knob is push/pull, using different capacitors to provide a vintage sound (down) and a modern vibe (up). Full Disclosure: The tone control doesn't work in the 'down' position. Rod believes this is the result of a cold solder and would be a very simple fix. Unfortunately, I didn't get the bass back to him before he shuttered the doors. I don't have the chops to investigate this on my own, and I've priced the bass accordingly.

The bass sounds fantastic. Keep both pickups engaged and you've got a really nice variety of tones. Solo the back pickup and your inner Jaco comes alive. Center the blend and the slap tone is ridiculous. Pull up on the volume knob and the P sound will take you places. I've had an MD and a studio engineer tell me this has the most amazing P-bass sound they've ever heard.

DSC_9117-regen-front-body.
    DSC_9118-regen-front-neck.
    DSC_9119-regen-front-stock.
    DSC_9120-regen-rear-stock.
    DSC_9121-regen-rear-full.

I’m happy to answer any questions. Thanks for your time!

2. Moominhoof

Moominhoof

Jun 30, 2019
    Hi - great bass, just been watching Sheryl Crow at Glastonbury and her bass player was playing a Regenerate 5 string - great looking guitar so I looked them up and they gone. Sorry to ask but as I live in the UK I have no idea about them. Have they totally stopped making basses? Also any idea how many are around if I want to get hold of one? Feel free to ignore me but just an interested bass player. Thanks Steve

3. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I really hope they give it another go. Really, truly, fantastic instruments. And Honey Badger pickups are absolutely incredible. Pickups are something I've never gotten excited about, but man...they're just amazing. I'm very fortunate to have a P/J set in one of my Mike Lull basses. Game changers.

Anyway, they were a low-volume company, but with a very loyal following. I was completely knocked out when I met Rod @ NAMM. Every single bass I played was fantastic.

smperry and rodneyat like this.
  4. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    100% agree Jerry. Rod's basses were great and his pickups are unbelievable.

VroomVroom likes this.
  5. detoxxx

detoxxx Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Devon Guitars, Empire Ears, Reunion Blues, Pig Hog Cables
    I remember this bass! It was pretty amazing!!!

VroomVroom likes this.
  6. Moominhoof

Moominhoof

Jun 30, 2019
    Thanks for the reply, I guess it was probably a cash flow issue then as its a tough market. A really shame as its good to have the smaller companies making something a little different and special. If that bass of yours was this side if the pond I might just buy it. Will keep my eyes open for one here.

7. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    This is the most tempting item on TB right now. Plus we all know what a pleasure it is to deal with a gentleman like Jerry.

8. Abacobob

Abacobob

Nov 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I'm starting to think this would pair nicely with my 4 string Regenerate P/J. Mine is a lovely fiesta red and thumps with flat wounds. Someone should buy this now before my will power crumbles.

VroomVroom likes this.
  9. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I was an endorser Of Regenerate Guitar Works. Great basses!

jebmd likes this.
  10. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow...I truly cannot believe this is still here.

11. sboriginal

sboriginal Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Trade for a modulus vj?

12. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    sent you a Pm bro, I have a very similar bass

13. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^ Never got a PM.

Bass is for sale only. Thinning the herd, and this one is painful. I have recurring fantasies of running flats on it. The J sound is incredible and the P sound will change your life.

Jimmy Hubbard likes this.
  14. Jimmy Hubbard

Jimmy Hubbard Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2017
    North Carolina
    I wish I could pounce on this... looks like an amazing bass

15. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    I took in a Regenerate Bass on trade for one of my builds a few years back and was very impressed with the workmanship. A solid, tight and weighty piece of work it was.

I'm always saddened to hear of a smaller builder's decision to close up his shop. Especially this one. I always hope that the decision to "move on" is personal over financial. But often the case is that it's the latter.

Regardless, these are great instruments and he does it well in the passive flavor.

raal and Jimmy Hubbard like this.
  16. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    I thought I read somewhere that all persons involved in a TB transaction should have their names in said thread.
    SoIf that be the case, Thanks Vroom Vroom; I'm sure to enjoy this bass.

rodneyat likes this.
  17. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I hope you love the bass!