1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Remco's Groove Lab bass technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DannyNFLD, Oct 9, 2017.

1. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    I see this guy's videos pop up every now and then, I'm sure he's been posted on here more than a few times. He gets a great sound and his sense of groove is terrific.

Question is, is there a name for his style, and are there more famous bassists (past or present) who utilized a style like this?

I understand what he's doing, just wondering if there's a term attached

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Thumb / fingerpicking, don't know that there's a specific name for his specific style, other than "Remco". :D

3. Reminds me of the Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler style of playing guitar. This type is called finger style playing (as opposed to flat picking, with a pick) and was adopted from classical/flamenco guitar players. If you youtube some of their playing you will notice that they also use the thumb as a bass line creator and let the fingers create the melody. It's kind of what this guy does but with a lot less strings.

4. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    'Thumping and Plucking'. He's not quiiite 'slapping' in the Marcus Miller/Larry Graham sense, but he's hitting the strings hard enough that they rebound off the frets/fingerboard hard enough to get that percussive effect.

5. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    So this fellow has developed a style all his own. Good on him

Loring likes this.
  6. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    I mean, except for Victor Wooten, Anthony Jackson, Anthony Wellington, Me'shell Ndegocello (sp?), and most lead bass players that came up in the 90s or later, sure! :)

7. corndog

corndog Supporting Member

Yeah, a bit unusual I guess but nothing new. Great player though.

sleeplessknight likes this.
  8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    In the world of guitar, it's called fingerpicking. There are variations like Travis Picking, Peidmont Style, Slack Key, etc..., But in Bass World, Remco Hendrix is about the only one that I've seen play with that style of finger picking. But then again, I don't know of many so called better or more famous bass players that use that style.

9. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    Maybe you could post a video of Victor playing in this style, because I've never seen him do it (same for the rest of those names you mentioned). Or post a video of any bass player playing with that style. He's not just slapping and popping, bro.

BassFishingInAmerica and Loring like this.
  10. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Victors style is very different...

DannyNFLD likes this.
  11. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Remco is fantastic! A little tough to place his style in a band context, though. He seems to be more of a solo artist (maybe accompanied by drums). I love his groove!!!
    I believe he's an endorsing artist for Hammersmith Music (Marko is a TB member), a Canadian company that makes some extremely drool-worthy instruments at good prices.

Loring likes this.